Dawgs, Rebs take to floor SundayGrant Alford

Before 1997 Mississippi State University and University of Mississippi met in women’s basketball 51 times, with the Rebels winning 50. Since 1997 the two have met 11 times, with the Bulldogs ruling the in-state rivalry with eight wins.
    On Sunday afternoon, the Lady Bulldogs will put a No. 15 national ranking on the line as they travel to Oxford to take on the Lady Rebels of Mississippi.
    Last season marked only the second time in the history of the rivalry that MSU has taken every meeting during the season. The Bulldogs whipped the Rebels by a combined margin of 46 points during two meetings last season.
    On Jan. 10 of last year, in her first action against the Rebels, MSU freshman Tan White scorched Mississippi for 25 points, 16 rebounds, seven assists, three steals and two blocks. Only 17 days later White would post another near triple-double against the Rebels dropping 21 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists.
    Not to be outdone, fellow Mississippi native, LaToya Thomas posted 20 and 29 points, and 10 and 12 rebounds in the two outings against the cross-state rivals.
    The Lady Rebels finished last season 11-17, 3-11, but have turned things around this season. This season Mississippi won its first seven games and stands at 11-3, 1-1.
    The Rebels have won all six of their home games this season, including a one-point victory in their SEC opener against Florida.
    Coming into the Sunday contest, Mississippi stands dead-last in scoring in the SEC with 67.2 points per contest, while MSU posts 75.8 per outing.
    The Rebels also rank at the bottom of the SEC in free-throw percentage, 62 percent, and field-goal percentage, 38 percent; MSU shoots 69 percent from free-throw range and 48 percent from the field.
    Rebounding and taking care of the basketball will be other keys in this series. MSU holds a 9.1 advantage over their opponents on the boards, while Mississippi is out rebounding their opponents by 4.6 per outing.
    The Rebels hold a 4.1 advantage in turnover margin this season, while the Bulldogs’ advantage is 1.8.
    Sophomore 6-foot-3-inch forward/center Amber Watts leads the Rebels as the only player in double figures with 11.9 points per contest. Watts also leads the team in rebounds with 8.3 per outing.
    Freshman guard Ashley Johnson chips in 9.4 points per contest this season primarily off the bench. Johnson ranks second in the SEC in 3-point field goal percent, shooting a blazing 46 percent from long range.
    Tip-off for the 62nd meeting of the Bulldogs and Rebels is set for 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon at Tad Smith Coliseum on the Oxford campus.