Students charged with sexual assault

Two Mississippi State students have been implicated as part of an alleged rape and three counts of sexual assault that took place on July 20.
    Derrick Jordan, 25, a graduate student in public policy and administration, and Gerren Paige, 21, an undergraduate, turned themselves into the Starkville Police Department the first week of August following the release of warrants issued by the courts for their arrests.
    Jordan had been living in 114-B Gillespie St. Paige was living in Suttle Hall.
    Two other men were also charged for their alleged roles in the incident. Derron Radcliff, of Apt. 54 at Cedar Cove on Louisville Street, was charged with rape and is being held at the Oktibbeha County Jail on $25,000 bond. Cephus McMilliam, 24, of Meridian was charged with sexual battery.
    According to Starkville Police Department Investigator Stewart, the sexual assault charges were filed because the other suspects “touched” the woman.
    Jordan, Paige, and McMilliam were all charged with sexual battery and were released on $15,000 bail.
    After Radcliff’s preliminary hearing, which was held Thursday, his case has been bound over to the Oktibbeha County grant jury.
    Jordan, Paige, and McMilliam are awaiting trial pending a set court date.
    According to Henry Stewart, the Starkville Police Department made the arrests based on a call received from a nurse working at Baptist Memorial Hospital. The alleged victim was reportedly sexually assaulted by between four to five suspects at approximately 3 a.m. on July 20 at Radcliff’s home.
    The woman, who is in her 20’s, was alone between 3 to 4 a.m. with up to seven men and was allegedly raped in one of the bedrooms. Following treatment, she filed a complaint with the SPD against the suspects.
    “The investigation is still going on. As of right now, there are no further suspects likely to be charged, but more people may be contacted as witnesses,” Stewart said in regard to the investigation.
    If convicted of rape, Radcliff could face the maximum sentence of up to a life sentence in prison. If the other suspects are convicted of sexual battery, they could face up to a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.
    In addition to criminal prosecution, MSU students Paige and Jordan may face academic prosecutions as well.
    According to MSU policy regarding sexual assault, students apprehended and proven guilty of violating the law may range from a minimum of suspension for one year to a maximum of permanent expulsion. Any student found guilty under this policy, in addition to other sanctions imposed, must submit to the dean of students as a condition of re-entering the university, proof of successful completion of counseling by a licensed mental health professional and the results of a psychological evaluation.
    In response to charges of sexual misconduct against students, the Division of Student Affairs designates one male and female staff member to coordinate a team response to sexual assault. In addition to a coordinator, the Sexual Assault Response Team includes a counselor, a law enforcement investigator and a medical representative. The services of the Sexual Assault Response Team are available to any member of the university community who has experienced sexual assault, whether on or off campus.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT™2STR
    o”