Ask questions to discover your ‘wow factor’

Sometimes we can learn something when we are miles from a classroom. A light bulb turns on in our minds and we suddenly see something previously oblivious to us. A new paradigm is born and with it a new perspective on life. From this genesis comes a realization of what to seek and the desire to know how to get there.
    This happened to me Friday night as I listened to Edwin McCain belt out lyrics and interlace them with smiles.
    The man has a deep love for what he does. Night in, night out, he lives his dream. He has not lost touch with the fact that he gets to do what he loves and greets every performance with enthusiasm.
    The opportunity of seeing someone who loves what he does is the best treat that we get in life. And the good news is that loving what you do doesn’t have to be reserved for the rich and famous, just the perceptive and determined.
    While millions dream of being a successful musician with a seven-plus figure record deal or the ability to make folks swoon from their voice, not everyone is meant for that. If everyone had that talent, there would be no significance in it-no “wow factor.”
    We each have a wow factor within us. Discovering how and where we can use it can happen as we pursue higher education.
    College is an opportunity to challenge our limitations and explore our boundaries. The process might get tough along the way, but the potential payoff is unmatchable.
    Imagine a day on the job where time evaporates unnoticed because the work is so enjoyable. Sitting in a traffic jam on the way to or from work does not phase you-the job is worth the hassle.
    Self-esteem and self-perception improve on a daily basis. You are proud of what you produce and getting there is half the fun. Sure, some days will have obstacles, but loving what you do can prevent frustrations.
    Not convinced? Just close your eyes for a second and remember the last time that you saw someone who hated their job.
    Everyone who has seen the movie “Office Space” can remember Peter (played by Rob Livingston). Each passing day on the job became the worst day of his life. Sitting still in traffic, equipment malfunctions and pesky paperwork contributed to Peter’s daily “case of the mundays.”
    What happens to these people along the way? Are they so consumed by the pursuit of economic gain that they made sacrifices they wish they hadn’t? Are they pinned-in, unable to use skills that they know they have? Did they settle for less in life because of a fear of failure?
    Mistakes happen, but decisions do not have to be permanent. Every day on the job does not have to be a session at the whipping post until the time clock grants freedom after eight tortuous hours.
    If it is impossible to be passionate about what you are doing, then stop.
    Stop wasting your time and your employer’s money. Make way for someone who wants the job.
    Don’t yet know which career path to take?
    The four or five or in some cases six years in college have great potential for self-discovery and eventual career selection if we consider our abilities and periodically question our paths.
    What do I do well? What have I enjoyed doing lately? I enjoy doing this … In what field could I do this the most?
    These reflective questions can help pinpoint the path to loving what we do.
    Craig Peters is a senior sports communication and teaching/coaching major. He can be reached at [email protected].