Differences strengthen faith

At a time when the meaning of the phrase “freedom of religion” is debated and our nation seems to be moving toward faith being less and less an integral part of our lives, one community has the right idea. Indiana University’s Jewish student population now has a new home-the local Catholic church.
    St. Paul’s pastor, Father Dan Atkins, said the idea started about five years ago when the IU Auditorium-where the large Jewish services were normally held-scheduled another event during the High Holy Days, which are the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana, followed by the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur, at sundown Oct. 5.
    The Catholic parishioners take down or cover Christian religious symbols for the Jewish services.
    This is a step in the right direction. If more churches would be open to this sort of thing, it would create a mutual respect and promote understanding of different viewpoints.
    True, Judaism and Christianity come from common roots and are more alike than most other possible combinations. However, if we want to educate our children about the present state of the world, then these types of encounters are necessary.
    While it is easiest to implement this type of immersion teaching technique in college, it would be most beneficial if introduced to younger children. “…Welcoming another faith into your home space … does help them to know that the Christian community is welcoming of people of other faith-that we’re not out to exist isolated from other communities,” said Lori Watson, director of campus outreach at St. Paul and an IU graduate student.
    Some may say it would expose children to “unacceptable” influences. However, to fully appreciate and believe in one’s faith, it must be fully explored and contrasted with other religions. A person must then come to his own conclusions about the doctrines.
    Children will grow up eventually. Parents can’t protect them from everything. Parents who take the time to explain the differences to their children will end up with more well-rounded members of society that will most likely have a stronger faith in whatever they choose to believe.
    Too many of us get in the routine of going about our daily lives and then running to church on Sundays.
    One central theme of Christianity is its gentle way of reaching out to people. Sermons are preached every week on how God is love. Christians are supposed to love everyone. Jesus’ message was not limited to just the Jews, just like Christian compassion should not be limited to just fellow Christians.
    If more people were given a closer, more realistic look at other traditions, then they may understand that different does not mean inferior.
    Jana Hatcher is a junior political science and psychology major. She can be reached at [email protected].