Collecting cans for kids

While Mississippi State University students and fans cheered in Wade-Davis Stadium at the Oregon-MSU football game, Ida Mae Tate collected empty cans from their tailgate spots.
    Tate gathers and recycles empty cans year-round in order to buy gifts for the children who spend Christmas at the University of Mississippi Medical Center’s Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital. The Blair E. Batson Children’s Hospital opened in 1997 and can currently treat up to 105 children whose ailments range from surgery to cancer treatment. Tate, 69, who does not drive, walks around the Starkville area collecting cans that will pay for gifts that she will hand out to over 100 children in December. Her goal is to receive enough cans that each child can have at least five gifts, a card and a hug on this day. For this warmth, she is known as the black Santa.
    Tate also uses the money she collects to send little items, such as Beanie Babies or other stuffed animals, throughout the year. These items provide doctors with gifts of comfort to give children after they receive a shot or experience painful treatment for their illnesses.
    Tate’s mission began 28 years ago after her youngest son, Terrance, was released from the UMC Children’s Hospital.
    Terrance, who was 10 years old at the time, was diagnosed with spinal cancer. His original 10-day stay turned into a difficult ordeal lasting over six months.
    “We were there for a long time. It cost us $2.85 per day to use the TV and at my job I only made 50 cents an hour,” Tate said. “Terrance’s room looked like a wholesale house though. They (the nurses) were so good to us.”
    Tate said she wanted to repay the nurses for being so kind to them, and the only way she could do that was through the children.
    Tate gets $1.16 for every four pounds of cans she collects. This fact shows the amount of hard work that she faces to reimburse those nurses and doctors who touched her life so many years ago.
    On Dec. 20 of this year, the Black Santa will dress in her red Santa suit, and she and her very own Rudolph, Fay Hutto, will load up the sleigh and head to Jackson. Beginning at 8 a.m. Santa will begin to hand deliver each child their gifts. Every child, whether in the waiting room or the ones admitted there, will get something.
    “It doesn’t seem like I ever have enough time in the day,” Tate said.
    When she began her mission 28 years ago, Tate entered the doors of the hospital with only eight gifts that she gave to children on the cancer ward. She said she enjoys singing Christmas carols with them trying to bring happiness to the children who are sick. Today Tate brings something for every child who is at the hospital that day.
    “The good Lord breaks it, and only He can fix it,” Tate said. “I just want’em to have a little happiness.”
    Tate said she has faced difficulties recently. Her son, Terrance, now 38 years old, was cured of spinal cancer but now suffers from congestive heart failure. Along with her son’s illness, Tate’s house burned last year. However, she said she tries to look on the bright side of things and continues to collect cans for her annual Santa performance.
    “If you do something halfway decent for other people, the good Lord will watch over your shoulder and help you out,” she said.
    Not only does she collect cans for the children, she also cares for several elderly Starkville residents to support herself and her family.
    “Old people have a lot of stuff up there in their head. You just got to listen and learn or they’ll just go to the grave with it. They just need a little love and attention,” Tate said.
    Tate’s work as the Black Santa has been recognized numerous times. She received one of the 10 national Publisher’s Clearing House “Good as Gold” awards on the Sally Jesse Raphael’s talk show in 2000. She was also rewarded one of the national Jefferson Awards from the American Institute for Public Service in Washington D.C. in 2001.
    University Medical Center’s public relations director Trey Porter said: “She is a blessing to every child she comes in contact with. She epitomizes the Christmas spirit. She is a jewel and the kind of lady that carries on the reputation inherited of being a hospitality state.”
    Although she does not actively seek donations from others, Tate accepts donations of either cans or money to be used toward her cause. Cans can be dropped off at 400 Jackson Street in Starkville.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT™2STR
    o”