Pub’s tiki bar break from norm, owner says

One local bar has found an alternative for those who like keeping bartenders close at hand but dislike the smoky atmosphere of traditional watering holes.
    The University Pub on University Drive offers a back deck and gazebo, called the Sneaky Tiki, for those who enjoy partying under the stars. The Pub also offers an indoors bar, The Speakeasy, named after the hush-hush hangouts of the Prohibition Era.
    The Pub officially opened April 10. Before that, it was known as the Blue Marlin.
    When management issues arose last year, Shaun Bray, owner of the University Pub, said he was faced with a big decision.
    “I decided that the idea of trying to please the older crowd with our menu and connecting with our younger crowd with the ‘Sneaky Tiki’ lounge wasn’t working,” Bray said.
    Bray said he decided to make more changes to appeal to the younger crowd.
    Some of those changes include the menu and renovation. The menu now includes more staples of college food like wraps, burgers and wings. “Our old menu had more fine cuisine, but not too many college kids can afford flamb,” Bray said. Bray has transformed the former Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house into an upstairs and downstairs lounge.
    Ty Lambert is a student at Mississippi State University and a patron of the University Pub.
    “They have a great laid-back atmosphere up there, kind of like partying in your backyard with good music and drink specials, too,” Lambert said.
    A new stage was constructed to provide room for the local bands that play throughout the week.
    In addition to the new stage, The Pub has added the new “boat bar,” which is located near the stage. Sara Flynn is a student at Mississippi University for Women and said she is impressed with the University Pub.
    “The music is great and I like the new Speakeasy downstairs,” Flynn said. “It reminded me of being in a basement.”
    Bray plans to add a bar to the second floor of the restaurant.
    “I just want the University Pub to become a part of Starkville, and for everyone to have a safe and comfortable place to have fun,” Bray said.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT™2STR
    o”