Gubernatorial candidates visit game day

Candidate Haley Barbour

The campaign trail made a detour through Starkville Saturday when Democratic Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, Republican gubernatorial candidate Haley Barbour, Lt Gov. Amy Tuck (R) and other candidates stopped by Mississippi State University.
    The candidates spent the afternoon shaking hands with the fans discussing football and politics; they watched the game Saturday evening.
    Even though both Musgrove and Barbour are graduates of the University of Mississippi, neither felt any old college rivalry toward MSU.
    “I have always been treated with good hospitality with every visit that I make,” said Barbour. “Ever since the Haley Barbour Scholarship was put into place, I have felt as though I am a part of a lasting institution. That’s a very good feeling.”
    Musgrove also said he always receives a positive response when he visits MSU, whether it is for a campaign or just a visit. He said he especially loved attending sporting events at the university.
    “I especially love to campaign at sporting events because I am such a big sports fan,” said Musgrove. “There’s such a great atmosphere at any sporting event. I’ve been coming to games at MSU for years, most recently for the basketball championship.”
    Musgrove said he plans to attend at least one home game of every university that has a football team in the state of Mississippi.
    Tuck said she was glad to be able to come back to her alma mater, not only to campaign, but also to watch the game.
    At the game, Gov. Musgrove was accompanied by his son, Jared, the MSU College Democrats, the Oktibbeha County Democratic Party and his campaign staff. Musgrove began circling the campus early in the evening as he visited with the many MSU fans.
    Reeves Barbour, 24, along with campaign volunteers, joined his father to spread his name for a vote. He was later arrested for public intoxication and released on bail. Marsha Barbour took the day off from the campaign trail. She remained at the Barbour home in Yazoo City.
    Tuck was also seen on campus greeting voters and MSU fans. She was joined by her family, friends and campaign manager, Ben Thompson.
    During the game both Barbour and Musgrove moved around the stadium to visit with voters. Both also said they were going to make a stop by President Charles Lee’s box.
    The candidates were not only greeted by voters, but also by good game day foods. Musgrove dined on the tailgating staples of hotdogs and soft drinks. Barbour tried not to be tempted by the brownies and cookies that many tailgaters offered him. Tuck’s team sampled a selection from several Starkville restaurants.
    Several tailgaters said they were glad the candidates stopped by.
    “I think it’s good that the candidates came to the game to campaign. It’s a good way to expose their name and message to the public and the college students,” said Jimmy Oliver, an alumni of MSU.
    MSU freshman Christi Coleman thought that it was beneficial for the candidates to meet and interact with the college students.
    “It gives the students a feeling of importance. It allows the point of view of the college student to be heard,” Coleman said.