Bubba Sparxxx

Bubba Sparxxx has a lot of soul for a big white guy. His new album, Deliverance, is about as good as folk/bluegrass/hip-hop gets.
    On Deliverance, Sparxxx shows his talent, spitting clever lyrics that prove he’s a competitor in the Dirty South hip-hop arena.
    Sparxxx’s rural Georgia upbringing shines on Deliverance. It’s his catch and distinguishes him from other Dirty South rappers, most of whom sing about urban life and strife.
    Don’t misunderstand, Sparxxx’s lyrics are still as smooth as buttermilk pie, and he spits them out fast. One listen to this dirty joint and you’ll be convinced-this farm boy can hang with the best of the city slickers.
    But, Sparxxx’s lyrics are only half the fun. Producer Timbaland lays down a hip-hop beat on Deliverance’s tracks that would be at home on any Outkast or Lil’ John album. The beauty comes when Timbaland slips in twangy guitar, horns or gospel singers on many of the tracks.
    Sparxxx is probably best known for his hit song “Ugly,” the first single from his debut album, Dark Days, Bright Nights. Sparxx has departed a little from the standard Dirty South style of “Ugly,” putting his own distinct spin on the songs on Deliverance.
    Sparxxx still has plenty of guest spots, rappers yelling in the background or chanting choruses. Among the best are Duddy Keen, who adds vocals on “New South,” and Attitude, who speeds things up a little on “Warrant,” a song about running from a life of pain and excess.
    The title track, “Deliverance,” starts out with clapping hands and a fiddle mixed with a slow, bumping beat. Sparxxx sings about his journey as a musician. He sings of getting back on his feet and finding his way after a debut that was at first hyped, but ended up stopping dead in its tracks. Sparxxx sings about hard knocks and making it to legitimate fame on a road lined with doubters.
    “I indeed sold my soul/without glancing at the price/no instructions/when I was handed this device,” he raps.
    Sparxxx’s album is really a blast to listen to. Native Southerners will listen to Sparxxx and grin. It’s almost impossible not to marvel some at the white country boy’s perseverance.
    But, perseverance makes perfect, I guess. Sparxxx certainly has succeeded in making a serious, unique addition to the New South hip-hop scene.