Forty years later, still teaching

He promised to stay two years and ended up staying 40 years. Dr. Robert W. Rogers, professor of animal and dairy sciences has worked at Mississippi State University longer than any other professor.
    Rogers started at MSU when he was 25 in 1964. He received his B.S. in animal husbandry and a master’s degree and doctorate degrees in animal science from the University of Kentucky. All three of his children graduated from MSU.
    “During this time there were not a lot of students here, said Rogers. “There are three times as many students now as in 1964. Tuition was only $100 per semester with textbooks costing $5 each.”
    Classes were taught on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday or Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday sequence. He taught a class on Saturday that ran from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. He said all the students were there for every class.
    “The difference in teaching now and then, I feel, is that most students want to be entertained, instead of learning the information,”Rogers said. “Although my best times are being able to have a good relationship with students.”
    Rogers was here when the first black student came to MSU in 1965. “There was no problem,” said Rogers. “I knew Dr. Richard Holmes before he came here through his stepfather. He came to school one day and that was it.”
    One of Rogers’ goals when he came to MSU was to start a meats teaching and research program that would gain national attention. Rogers became the first individual to come and fill this position.
    “He does a lot for the department and the state of Mississippi pertaining to research,” said Dr. Terry E. Kiser, professor and head of the Animal and Dairy Science department. “He contributed to many outreach programs by working with meat processing plants in Mississippi.”
    Rogers won the Ralph E. Powell Research Excellence Award in 1999. He was recognized for pioneering work in restructured meats and formulation of a low-fat hot dog.
    “We work on lot of development of new products, especially fat-free products,” said Tim Armstrong, Meat Lab Manager and Inspector.
    Beginning in August in 1982, Armstrong worked for Rogers for 20 years.
    “He is a firm boss,” Armstrong said. “He expects you to do your job and do it well.”
    Armstrong said he is most proud of winning the Outstanding Educator Award in the Nation for the National Association Meat Purveyors in 1980 and being inducted into the Mississippi Cattleman’s Association Hall of Fame in 2003.
    “He (Rogers) has been here 40 years which shows how dedicated and loyal he is to MSU,” Kiser said. “He is a great resource to the department head and young faculty members with being able to answer questions.”
    Rogers said he most wants to be remembered as a man of his word. He is 65 and plans to retire in June.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORTF™2STR
    o”