Law gives undeserved benefits

California passed a bill that will allow illegal immigrants to obtain drivers’ licenses. Gov. Gray Davis signed the bill into law, which will take effect in January 2004.
    This is a step in the opposite direction that government needs to take. Instead of issuing these criminals a license, the government should issue them handcuffs.
    Illegal immigrants cause three problems in addition to breaking our national laws. They add to the national security problem, drain money from the government and take away jobs that American citizens need and deserve.
    If our nation plans on preventing further terrorist attacks, defending our border is the best place to start.
    Over 5 million illegal immigrants entered America during the 1990s. Terrorist may infiltrate our country just as easily. Our government can better protect the border by strengthening the border patrol or adding a military presence.
    The 2000 census statistics show that nearly 50 percent of all illegal immigrants came from Mexico.These immigrants from Mexico alone drain America of millions of dollars. Many rely on American funded social programs and crime to survive. Many go to our hospitals for medical care and attend our public schools for education.
    Several of these illegal Mexican immigrants are pregnant women. They come for one reason-to give birth on American soil. This automatically allows the child to become an American citizen. In several of these cases, the women begin drawing welfare immediately after becoming a citizen.
    The money illegal immigrants and these new mothers receive from America could be better used to aid law-abiding citizens.
    Too many legal residents are going without work while numerous illegal immigrants have jobs. According to a study completed by the Center for Immigration Studies approximately 12 percent of those who work in manufacturing in1999 were illegal immigrants while only 8 percent were natives.
    My great grandparents traveled from Hungary through Ellis Island in the late 1800s. They followed the law and started a new life here just like thousands of people still do. California’s law gives criminals the same rights as those take the trouble of going through the legal process.
    The government must take a stand against illegal immigration without fearing accusations of racism or insensitivity to minorities. Our government should reject laws such as the one California proposed and more strictly enforce laws already on the books.
    Charlie Swanson is a freshman business administration major. He can be reached at [email protected].