Gas stations draw customers with innovation

The modern consumer trend of “on the run” everything has led some convenience stores to offer more than just gas and junk food.
    Ten years ago, gas stations sold refreshments and road maps. Today, customers can walk into a convenience store and waltz out with items like cell phone covers, ponchos, designer-imposter sunglasses and old school country music tapes.
    Gas stations and mini-marts, affectionately known to some students as “beer stores,” are as much a part of people’s lives as the cars they drive. Many open 24 hours a day, gas stations provide a quick alternative to buying milk in a grocery store or sausage biscuits in a restaurant.
    Whether they are running specials on beer prices or offering gas for cents cheaper than a competitor down the street, gas stations will do anything they can to bring business their way.
    Some local gas stations have taken it a step further. Eatery/gas station combinations are popping up all over the area and have become quite popular.
    The Donut Factory on U.S. Highway 45 in Columbus is attached to a Shell gas station. In Starkville, places like Billy’s on U.S. Highway 12 offer gourmet ribs on football game weekends. Bullets in Columbus is also a gas station combo.
    Karen Perkins is the team leader at the South Gate Sprint Mart on Miss. Highway 25. Perkins says that newer, more modern gas stations have a definite advantage over older ones.
    “A modern gas station will attract more people because you can get everything here,” Perkins said.
    The South Gate Sprint Mart features Hot Stuff pizza and a deli that is open through out the week.
    In addition to selling pizza, the gas station also sells homemade cookies and other foods.
    Wesley Crum, a Mississippi State student who chooses gas stations that offer fresh food items, said he’s grateful gas stations are trying to appeal to broad consumer bases.
    “I would much rather go to a gas station that offers everything I need, plus it’s great for the late night munchies,” Crum said.
    No matter how many additives you throw into a gas station mini-mart, gas will always be a top priority. With gas prices continuously rising and falling, one would think that would affect sales in other areas.
    “We don’t really see a flux in our customer base when gas prices change,” Perkins said. “Customers still show up.”
    Everyone has their favorite gas station around town and most grew up with one right around the corner. Whether gas stations sell old Waylon Jennings tapes or crawfish by the pound, consumers are almost surely in for more innovation.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT‘™2STR
    o”