Local fans band’s aim

What, or who, is the Benjy Davis Project? The six-man band, which will be in Starkville Tuesday, hails from Baton Rouge, La., and has been playing a mix of folk, blues and country for about a year and a half.
    The Benjy Davis Project has played all over the country, including venues like JazzFest and the House of Blues in Chicago, and will make their third appearance at Rick’s Caf on Tuesday, Sept. 16.
    “I think our music appeals to that crowd because most of it is about just partying and having a good time,” Davis said. “Our songwriting is becoming more mature, though.”
    The Benjy Davis Project is made up of Benjy Davis, Brett Bolden, Mic Capdevielle, Michael Galasso, Jonathan Lawhun and Anthony Rushing. The band, which lists Paul Simon, James Taylor and the Allman Brothers as influences, has toured with national and international acts ranging in genre from jam and folk rock to blues and zydeco. They currently have a host of new songs in various stages of development.
    The group, ranging in age from 19 to 21, plays tunes that are all written by Benjy Davis, singer and acoustic guitarist. Davis said, from what he could see from standing onstage, the band’s music appeals to “college girls and high school boys.”
    Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Caf Amricain in Starkville, said he enjoys the sound of The Benjy Davis Project.
    “I probably receive two dozen CDs a week and I probably have 500 CDs in my office. I’ve had Benjy’s CD in my Jeep for at least the past six months-that’s how much I like this band,” Welch said. “And Benjy’s lyrics are incredible. Some of the best I’ve ever heard.”
    MSU student Amanda McRae said she loves hearing the group play.
    “Their music sounds original and funky but at the same time you can hear a traditional Cajun sound coming through,” McRae said. “I’m really excited that they’re back in town.”
    Davis said the band has no definite plans for the future, but hopes they can continue doing what it is they love to do.
    “We just want to go as far as we can go with this,” Davis said.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT™2STR
    o”