Food Showcase first for Bash

Bulldog Bash is offering festival-goers something new this year: a taste of the best that seven Starkville restaurants have to offer.
    Gone are the corn dogs and popcorn that litter the menus of most fairs’ food vendors. In their place are a wide variety of culinary delights that range from giant “dinosaur legs” to John Wayne pizza.
    Seven Starkville restaurants ranging from fine dining establishments to on-the-go delis will serve up special menu items at this year’s Bash.
    The food portion of Bulldog Bash will begin at 5 p.m. and last until around 9 p.m. All food booths will be located on University Drive in the Cotton District.
    The Mississippi State University Student Association decided that this year, along with a fan fair, music and a pep rally, food needed to fit in somewhere.
    In stepped The Veranda, the International Bistro, Old Venice Pizza Company, The Courthouse Grill, The University Pub, Richard’s Bakery and Deli and Papa John’s Pizza.
    The food vendors will have booths set up along University
    Drive where they will sell everything from ribs to cakes.
    “We wanted a range of foods and things that were easy to eat,” Bulldog Bash co-director Andrea Slocum said. “Everything will be within a five dollar range and non-alcoholic drinks will be available as well.”
    Organizers of the event have high expectations for supporters, because this year marks the beginning of food vendors at Bulldog Bash. Organizers have followed the format of last spring’s Tastes of Starkville, but have asked a few different vendors to participate.
    The Veranda will serve turkey drumsticks, which they call smoked “dinosaur” legs, and glazed ribs. Owner and chef, Jay Yates said he chose these items because they are from the Veranda’s tailgate menu and they are easy to eat.
    “We’re excited about our first football season, in particular our first Bulldog Bash,” Yates said. “We are a Bulldog restaurant and we support our team and the Mississippi State community.”
    Slocum said the SA is very pleased that different restaurants want to have a face at Bulldog Bash and support the event and students. She advises students to buy food at Bulldog Bash instead of going out to restaurants so that they can experience the full effect of the event.
    “We are so excited this year about the new food vendors. It shows support for all of Starkville, not just the Cotton District or the students,” said Slocum.
    Slocum added that there will be sandwiches and desserts from Richard’s Bakery and Deli, hamburgers and hot dogs from the Courthouse Grill, gyros from the International Bistro and pizza from Old Venice and Papa John’s.
    “We’re going to have pizza by the slice for three dollars,” said Nick Thompson, general manager of Old Venice. “That will include our pepperoni and cheese pizza and also our specialty John Wayne pizza.
    “We’ll be the booth closest to the stage, so people can come enjoy great food and good music,” he added.
    Thompson also said that in addition to pizza, Old Venice will give away VIP cards. These cards will entitle the barer to one free appetizer or drink at the restaurant.
    “We’re really excited that this is our first year serving food at Bulldog Bash,” Thompson said. “It’s given us an opportunity to make money, because last year during Bulldog Bash it was slow for us.”
    All food vendors will keep profits from the Bash.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORTz™2STR
    o”