Israel, Hamas both use terror tactics

The Palestinian military group Hamas initiated suicide attacks, shootings and artillery strikes against unarmed Israeli civilians last month. These actions define what terrorist groups are all about-killing people that pose no threat to them either to make a statement or because they claim their targets were threats.
    However, the Israeli government’s response to the Hamas is sadly similar to the actions of Hamas themselves.
    For instance, without warning, an Israeli helicopter crew killed two Hamas members while they were driving in their car. This attack was part of the Israeli government’s policy of using assassination to deter and destroy Hamas.
    This policy is both immoral and ineffective.
    While it is unreasonable to expect Israel to take no steps to counter the Hamas attacks, violence should be used only as a final option.
    The Israelis are acting as if immediate, retaliatory violence is their only means of response. Instead of missile-carrying helicopters, troop transports could be sent in to attempt to apprehend the Hamas members. If the members forcefully resist or attempt to escape, then force may be used.
    Furthermore, Israel’s actions are immoral on a nation-state level.
    The accused Hamas members are human beings, despite their actions. As a nation, Israel is obliged to ensure their rights and determine their guilt or innocence through due legal process before exacting a punishment. Instead, Israel is using its executioner-its army-as judge and jury.
    By failing to respect the rights of any individuals, including the members of Hamas, the Israeli government destroys any moral high ground it had and brings into question its legitimacy as a government.
    Innocents are dying as “collateral damage.” An infant lost her life in a June helicopter attack. But what if the targets of the attacks are innocent? Even under ideal conditions, when a case can be tried and retried in courts of law, innocents are convicted of crimes they don’t commit. By eliminating everything but the executioner, Israel only increases the chances of killing innocents.
    Is it possible that Israel is actually protecting the innocents by preventing suicide and other terrorist attacks? Unfortunately, the answer seems to be no.
    Israeli attacks are only strengthening Hamas’ willingness to fight. “Hamas is losing infrastructure, fighters, planners, leaders and engineers, but accumulating suicide attackers,” said Ben Caspit, as quoted by Margaret Coker of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. According to The Age, an Israeli was shot by “suspected Palestinian militants” shortly after the aforementioned helicopter attack.
    By targeting leaders, Israel is courting violence from more than just Hamas. Coker quotes political analyst Ghazal Hamid, “The targeted killings have whipped up rage among all Palestinian fighters, not just Hamas.”
    While some of Israel’s attacks have succeeded, the attacks often miss altogether. According to Coker, only one out of four attacks against Hamas leaders has succeeded.
    Israel is taking unjustified and immoral steps in its attempt to combat Hamas.
    While stopping the terrorists is imperative, the Israeli government must avoid assassination as a policy tool and ensure the rights of the accused Hamas terrorists.
    Israel must avoid the path taken by the terrorists themselves. It must remember that the end never justifies the means.
    Nathan Alday is senior aerospace engineering major. He can be reached at [email protected].