Familiar faces fill vacancies

The Mississippi State University Research and Technology Center recently filled several of its key directorship positions.
    Longtime MSU employees Patti S. Abraham and Lynda G. Tuck and alumnus Chase Kasper were appointed to fill the positions.
    The RTC, which is administered by the office of research, is a non-profit corporation organized exclusively for scientific, literary and educational purposes.
    The organization also tries to promote development of new businesses and industries and take MSU technological and intellectual property into the marketplace.
    Jonathan Pote, interim vice president for research, made the appointments.
    Abraham is the new director of the research and curriculum unit for work force development and vocational and technical education. Abraham served as research professor and interim director since 2002.
    “There are so many exciting things happening in Mississippi vocational education and work force development, and I am so delighted to work with such a talented and energetic staff and administration,” Abraham said.
    Pote said Abraham was chosen due to her experience as interim director of RCU in addition to having a very long history of grantsmanship and publishing.
    Abraham’s new duties will include providing leadership and support to the Mississippi Department of Education and the office of vocational and technical education.
    Tuck, now serving as interim director of the office of sponsored programs administration, was previously was the division’s facility security officer.
    Tuck agreed to fill the position on an interim basis while a search is being conducted. She has a long history at MSU as a grants administrator and as the university’s facilities security officer. Kasper, formerly of Nacogdoches, Texas, is also being appointed to a new position in RTC as manager/administrator of the MSU Research and Technology Corp.
    Kasper was chosen for the new position because of his previous experience in industry regarding business administration, developing new technologies for industrial use, and handling contract negotiations, Pote said.
    Abraham, a Starkville resident, holds three degrees from MSU, including a 1985 doctorate in vocational education and technology.
    Tuck, who resides in Maben, first joined the MSU staff in 1973. She has held a number of positions at the university, including administrative duties in the office of sponsored programs administration 1992 to 1998.
    Tuck also served as the institution’s intellectual property officer from 1992 to 1994.
    Kasper, who earned a bachelor’s degree in management in 1989 and a master’s in international management in 1994, previously worked as product manager and market analyst for JM Clipper in Nacogdoches.
    A former MSU tennis player, Kasper recently moved back to Starkville with his wife, Tonia, and daughter, Anastasia.
    Kasper said he appreciates the differences he sees in the university.
    “The university has grown dramatically. The changes make me glad to be an alumnus and employee of this university.”