Police looking for hit-and-run driver

Police are searching for an unidentified motorist who fled the scene of an accident after striking and flipping a passing Mississippi State University student’s vehicle near Fraternity Row Wednesday night.
    Witnesses said the unidentified motorist ran a red light in a white Nissan Maxima or Altima while traveling north on Highway 12.
    The car collided with MSU freshman Rebecca Ishee’s 2003 Toyota 4Runner, flipping it into the air. The SUV landed on its side on nearby Creelman Street. Ishee escaped uninjured, climbing out of the top of her car.
    Witnesses said the driver of the white Nissan sped from the scene of the accident immediately after regaining control of his or her vehicle.
    The accident occurred just north of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity house, as Ishee traveled east through the intersection of Russell Street and Highway 12.
    “They said I flipped in the air-higher than the red light,” Ishee said. “I climbed out the top. At first I was freaking out because I thought I was trapped.”
    The vehicle, which Ishee said she had bought only two weeks ago, landed on its right side, after sustaining extensive damage to the roof and hood.
    “One witness said the vehicle flew as high as the telephone pole, which would be about 15 feet,” said officer Clay Moore of the Starkville Police Department. “I’m not sure if it actually went that high, but it obviously went up and came down hard.”
    SPD Officer Tom Roberson
    said he expects the driver of the other car to be apprehended soon.
    “We have pretty good odds of catching this one,” Roberson said. “It may not be tonight, but it will turn up. We have a BOLO (be on the lookout) out on it now, and I think it’s likely that we’ll find him.”
    “The car that hit her … will have heavy front-end damage, and probably a lot of black paint from hitting the black vehicle,” Moore said.
    Roberson said the motorist is probably from the area.
    If you have any information regarding the whereabouts of the motorist or the other vehicle involved in the accident, please call the Starkville Police Department at 323-4134.