SAE President Taylor responds to suspension

The Mississippi Theta chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Mississippi State University’s oldest fraternity, will close its doors by October 20 as their suspension begins.
    The fraternity was serving a two-year probation that began January 2002 after a December 2001 incident involving a case of alcohol poisoning.
    After a similar incident during a party several weeks ago, the SAE fraternity is being suspended for the rest of the school year.
    SAE President Ro Taylor said he found the punishment excessive compared to the situation.
    “I feel that our prior probation had some bearing on the decision,” Taylor said. “But I also think that the punishment was unfair and did not fit the crime-disrupting the lives of 80 students and forcing 25 to move in the middle of the semester-all because of the actions of one student who is not a fraternity member.”
    The individual to whom Taylor referred is a freshman not involved with any Greek organization, say sources.
    He suffered alcohol poisoning from excessive drinking at the SAE house, but is back in classes, say sources.
    Dean of Students Mike White said he could not specifically comment on what disciplinary action the student faced, as that would invade the student’s privacy.
    “Any student who violates the alcohol policy of MSU is subject to disciplinary action. He was treated no differently than any other student,” White said.
    Taylor said SAE was still using the risk-management procedures approved by the university when the incident happened.
    Taylor said he feels the administration did not take the fraternity’s record of service into account.
    “I don’t think our community service or campus-involvement accomplishments were in any way considered in making this decision,” Taylor said. “Our community service initiation league that we implemented years ago has been a role model and has been implemented in many other SAE chapters around the nation.”
    Taylor said he also believed the stigma associated with the SAE for prior problems may have played a part.
    “I feel that there is some animosity against the Greek system as a whole,” Taylor said. “And talking with alumni, I feel there may be a personal animosity against our chapter going as far back as the ’70s.”
    White said he believes that the fraternity will meet the requirements for reinstatement soon after they are eligible to do so after May 31, 2004.
    “I am confident that they will be back in good standing with the university again promptly,” White said.