Voodoo Experience casts spell on New Orleans

Since the Voodoo Music Experience began in 1999, it has proven to be anything but cursed.
    Organizers of the festival, which takes place in City Park in New Orleans Oct. 31 through Nov. 2, will mark five years of success by adding two days to the event. The festival is now three days and nights and will feature dozens of the nation’s biggest musical acts.
    In total, the festival will feature more than 80 bands on three stages throughout the weekend.
    Sophomore Kathleen Lippincott is planning on going this year for the fourth time.
    “This is the first year they’re having a three day fest-I’m really looking forward to that, Lippincott said. It’s really fun to go to the fairgrounds and have the option to go to different stages.”
    Music fans are almost guaranteed to find something they like at the festival. The lineup is littered with the names of rising stars, Billboard Music Charts conquerors and the forefathers of some genres.
    Steve Rehage, who is organizing the event, said it’s a great value.
    “The whole idea of Halloween in New Orleans is appealing,” he said.
    Eighty thousand people attended last year’s one-day festival and organizers hope to increase the number of this year’s participants.
    Lippincott said one memory sticks out in her mind from last year’s Voodoo Music Experience.
    “Last year it was weird-Garbage was playing and right when she (Shirley Manson) started singing ‘I’m only happy when it rains,’ it started raining,” she said.
    For hip-hop fans, the festival will feature 50-Cent and Ludacris, two of rap’s biggest stars. The two will open the festival, playing back-to-back Friday afternoon.
    For metal fans, the festival is featuring hard-rockers Queens of the Stone Age, Marilyn Manson, Smile Empty Soul and Staind, among others.
    Queens of the Stone Age will begin an all-star Sunday line-up at 4:45, followed by A Perfect Circle.
    Junior Peter Sakalaukus said he’s going mainly to see A Perfect Circle. He said he’s also going to check out other bands, though.
    “I figured it would be a good weekend to get out of Starkville,” Sakalaukus said. “I’m looking forward to just hanging out and listening to good music for three days.”
    Hipsters attending the festival can groove to the hippest of hip bands, The White Stripes. The duo will perform Sunday after A Perfect Circle.
    Iggy Pop will perform to the delight of punk fans. The Godfather of Punk will lead the Stooges Saturday.
    Rehage said he is looking forward to Iggy and the Stooges the most
    “Staind is opening (for Iggy and the Stooges) and Marilyn Manson is closing. There’s going to be a lot of angst on that stage,” he said. “Angst and crossdressing. That’s what we’re all about here at Voodoo,” he added, laughing.
    The festival will also quell the thirst any fans might have for jam bands. String Cheese Incident, Robert Randolph, Galactic and Karl Denson are among the many jam bands that will perform.