Friday Night Gigolos featured on MTV2, College Television Network

Most college students have dreams of becoming successful in their respective career paths. Others just want to be rock stars. The Friday Night Gigolos fall into the latter category.
    The Gigolos are a homegrown band from the Mississippi Gulf Coast with dreams of making music for a living. The band members attend the University of Southern Mississippi and live out their dream of becoming rock stars.
    The band’s current single “Don’t Say” is in the MTV2 top 10. In addition, “Don’t Say” is in the semi-final round of the College Television Network’s “Best Music on Campus” contest.
    “‘Don’t Say,’ I think, is a great video,” vocalist David Lynn said. “It only took us three days to complete and I really like the way it turned out. “I just hope people like the video and that they vote for us,” he added.
    The band’s video will be voted on at the CTN Web site. The winning band or artist will get its video added to CTN’s play list and will co-host an episode of “Freshman.” Their video will also air on MTV and MTV2, and the winning track will appear on an MTV Advance Warning CD.
    On the verge of “making it” in the music business, Lynn said balancing college life and his role in the band can be overwhelming at times.
    “At the end of the day, it’s like I am living two separate lives, but I feel really fortunate to do what I am doing,” Lynn said.
    In the video, band members are inside a calendar. Each member of the band goes through a week in the calendar and meets his band mates at the end of the video.
    The group is one of three from the South competing for number one. Others include Forelle from Florida International and QST from the University of Florida.
    The top three finalsists will be chosen by online voters, Rapper and producer extraordinaire Pharrell Williams and industry representatives from Dreamworks and Atlantic Records will crown one band the best musicians on college campuses.
    The Gigolos have come a long way since forming four years ago. Lead vocalist Lynn and his neighbor, guitarist Joe Felts, started making music together when they were in junior high school. After recording their first single “Candlelight,” Benji Alford joined up to play drums and Jay McIlwain was recruited to play the bass. During a show in Mobile, the band met saxophonist Damon Garcia who completed the five piece ensemble.
    “I think they’ve got a great sound and I hope their video wins the contest,” Starkville resident Bob Vanderford said. “Their lead singer is real wild on stage, and the band puts on a good show.”
    The band’s first studio CD was released in March 2002 and received great reviews from some Mississippi critics. Lisa Damiano of the Sun Herald called them “one of the most promising young bands on the coast.”
    The band has toured around the south with a recent visit to The Gravel Pit on Miss. Highway 45 in Columbus this past Thursday night. The Gigolo’s have also played at Rick’s Caf and various fraternity houses.
    The constant touring around the Southeast has gained The Friday Night Gigolo’s a serious following from fans. In addition, Jagermeister has given them sponsorship and Budweiser has picked the Gigolos as the headlining band for their upcoming college tour.
    The Gigolos’ sound can be compared to that of Dave Matthews and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    The future looks bright for the Gigolo’s as they prepare to release a new CD and maintain their busy schedules.
    The Gigolo’s will also hold their first annual “Cruisin’ with the Gigolos” Halloween weekend cruise.