MSU Panhellenic recognized nationally for academics

Panhellenic women were recognized Sunday at a banquet held in Rancho Mirage, Calif. The National Panhellenic Conference awarded the Panhellenic community of Mississippi State University for Excellence in Scholarship for 2001-2003. Heidie Lindsey, Assistant Director of Student Life; Emily Howell, Panhellenic Public Relations Chair; and Holli Hitt, Panhellenic Scholarship Chair represented the university at the ceremony.
    Hitt called the experience memorable.
    ” Being able to represent our university at a National Panhellenic Conference definitely made for an unforgettable experiene,” Hitt said. “I was surrounded by incredible women from twenty-six of the nation’s largest women’s organizations, and on top of it all, I got to enjoy the beautiful weather and scenery of California. I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful opportunity.”
    MSU received the award based on the all-sorority GPA, its scholarship programs. Panhellenic sponsors events such as Major Madness, a dinner held at each sorority house featuring professors from different departments who socialize with the women and answer questions the girls may have about their majors. Other interactive events include trick-or-treating and Easter egg hunts on the row for the faculty’s children.
    Hitt said she felt the award represented several important qualities.
    “To me, a high standard of scholarship is one of the most important ideals of Greek life,” Hitt said. “At Mississippi State we encourage hard work and academic excellence among our sorority women.
    Every two years, college Panhellenic groups can apply for different categories of awards. This was the first time MSU had applied according to Lindsey.
    “Academics is first and foremost since sororities were all founded on college campuses. I think it’s one of the best ways to be recognized,” she said. Lindsey also mentioned that the sorority women’s average GPA for last year was 3.2. That is higher than the all-women’s GPA, which was 2.9 last year.
    “Over four semesters, the sorority GPA has been consistently much higher,” Lindsey said.
    “We’re thrilled to receive such an award on a national level. We’re very proud of our Panhellenic’s commitment to scholastic achievement,” Panhellenic President Hollye Raines said.
    Raines said the application for the award was submitted this past April. Panhellenic was notified over the summer that they had won.