Anderson to headline MSU NAACP fall unity banquet

The MSU chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will host its third annual Fall Unity Banquet Wednesday in the Union Ballroom at 7 p.m.
    Gary Anderson, Democratic candidate for state treasurer, will be the guest speaker at the banquet. Entertainment will be provided by Seniors Akilah Minor and Sherman Green.
    Anderson received a bachelor’s degree in public administration and master’s in urban regional planning from the University of Mississippi. Anderson served as CEO of Barrington Mortgage company and deputy director of the Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development. He served as state fiscal officer from 2000-2003. Gov. Ronnie Musgrove appointed him to the position.
    NAACP President Timothy Jackson said the NAACP officers wanted to offer an opportunity for students to hear from both black candidates for state office. Barbara Blackman, candidate for lieutenant governor, recently visited the NAACP as well.
    Minor said she does not know much about Anderson but is excited to hear him speak.
    “I am eager to hear what Mr. Anderson has to say to the students at MSU,” Minor said.
    Jackson expects a turnout of 225 people. He said the banquet’s purpose is to provide a good time and promote unity in the university community.
    “It (the banquet) is an opportunity for faculty, staff, students and friends of Mississippi State University to fellowship, with an awesome speaker, great message and great food,” Jackson said.
    Dining Services will cater the event. The banquet is open to everyone. Tickets are $10, and a limited number will be offered at the door.
    Students may also call 325-0170 for reservations.