Hadden defines leadership

In the dictionary, a leader is defined as “a person who has commanding authority or influence.” On the Mississippi State Volleyball team, Leadership is defined as Jennifer Hadden.
    Hadden, a 5-9 senior from Marysville, Mich., plays setter for the Bulldogs, and has recently eclipsed the 2,000 career assist mark placing her fourth in school history.
    As a setter, Hadden’s leadership ability is tested every game. According to her coach and teammates, she never disappoints.
    “I don’t think you could really say Jen has had a bad game,” said Bulldog head coach Brenda Bowlin. “She has a great consistency, and I think that is a big sign of a good leader.”
    “She’s always playing hard and always in control,” Bowlin continued. “The scores may not indicate it, but she has really called some great games for us this year.”
    The job of the setter is a difficult one. The setter in volleyball is likened to the quarterback position in football. The setter must read the opposition’s defense and put the ball in the right spot for the kill.
    “You have to read the middle blocker,” Hadden says. “You have to check to see if they are cheating to one side or the other, then reverse the flow on them to try to get a split block for the hitter.”
    Hadden downplays her role.
    “I really rely on the passers to get me the ball and then I rely on the hitters to make the points,” Hadden explains. “Without my teammates, I couldn’t play the way I do.”
    As modest as Hadden tries to be, her teammates tell a different story. Senior middle blocker Hilary Chambers said that Hadden plays a very important role on the team.
    “She’s responsible for calling the plays and she also has to be aware of the weaknesses of the defense,” Chambers explained. “She has to be able to see the open spots on the court before the hitters can.”
    “She always does a great job, and she’s always got a positive attitude,” Chambers continued. “She’s solid all around and she’s a smart player. She really knows the game.”
    Hadden, who now has 2,480 assists, said the team will keep playing hard this coming weekend when the Bulldogs host Arkansas and LSU.
    “We’re really pushing right now,” Hadden said. “We’re hungry.”