Ingram Hill’s new release marks pro studio debut

With a name familiar to any college student in the South, Ingram Hill has made a slow but steady transition from college cover band to expectant rock artists. Forming just three years ago at the University of Memphis, the quartet has just released their first full-length album, June’s Picture Show, a huge improvement from their first two compilations of quick studio work.
    Everything on the album is original work, including some well-known tracks from their previous album, Until Now. The tracks selected, including “Chicago” and “Almost Perfect,” were re-recorded with changes ranging from an added guitar to complete alteration of tempo and sound. The changes give the songs a fuller sound and a more professional quality-a feature that can be credited to the entire album.
    June’s Picture Show isn’t a groundbreaking release from Ingram Hill, but the album certainly shows promise for the band. June’s Picture Show is setting the band apart from the mass of other struggling college bands. With better studio work, the band was able to enhance old songs and produce some great new ones. Guitars have a better quality and Justin’s powerful vocals are given the recognition they deserve.
    With creative melodies and the tasteful sound always present in the band’s music, June’s Picture Show reflects the feel-good attitude that Ingram Hill consistently exhibits at their live shows. Perhaps the only twist on the band’s new album is the evidence of maturity. Ingram Hill has gone through a lot of growth since they formed, and June’s Picture Show is proof of that. Lyrics are much more personal, while musically, a few tracks echo their growth with a sound unknown to Ingram Hill fans. Songs like “Slippin’ Out” and “To Your Grave” contain a somewhat darker sound.
    Ingram Hill fans, June’s Picture Show is a great new album. Don’t expect to be blown away, but their work is worth a second look. If you appreciate what the band has achieved so far, you’ll enjoy hearing what the guys have been working on. Full of improvements, June’s Picture Show is a clear message that Ingram Hill is breaking out of their usual scene and they’re headed toward more than just Saturday nights at the frat house.