Injuries hamper Lady Dawgs

Mississippi State’s Friday night exhibition game against the Houston Jaguars was a sweet homecoming for former Bulldogs’ Renea Jones, LaCharlotte Smith and LaToya Thomas and an eye-opener for Coach Sharon Fanning and her current Lady Bulldogs.
    The Bulldogs came out of the gates sluggish and Houston took advantage. The Jaguars opened the game on an 8-1 run. The Bulldogs fought back on two three-pointers but never took the lead.
    “We have to look at this closely and gain some confidence in the next week and look like a different basketball team a week from now,” Fanning said following the 89-71 loss.
    Despite shooting only 35 percent in the first half, MSU went into the locker room trailing by only four.
    Junior college transfer Tiania Burns paced the Lady Dawgs with 14 points and six rebounds. Senior guard Jessica Carter had nine first half points on three three-point baskets.
    Melissa Abraham and Thomas led the Jaguars in the first half with 10 points each. Jones added five and Smith added nine.
    The Jaguars also led the Bulldogs in first half points in the paint 26-15 and in fast break points 15-0.
    The Bulldogs cut the lead to one on a three-point bucket from Rebecca Kates. However, the Bulldog comeback was quickly quieted by back-to-back three’s from Jones.
    Burns finished with 22 points, eight rebounds and four steals. Burns said she was nervous about her first game with the Lady Bulldogs but settled into the game.
    “My first game here, with the crowd, I was really nervous,” said Burns. “Once I got out there and got going I was fine.”
    Mamie McKinney finished the game with 12 rebounds and seven points and Tiffany Burton added eight rebounds. Carter ended with 11 points and said that her shots weren’t falling in the second half despite good looks at the basket.
    “My shots just weren’t falling in the second half,” said Carter. “I had some good looks. I just couldn’t hit them.”
    The bigger, more experienced Jaguars proved too much for the inexperienced MSU post game.
    Kates posted a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds but other MSU post players combined for only 17 points and 25 boards.
    Fanning said the key to improving the post play will be finding the right combination and getting more minutes for the young players.
    Seneca Anderson, Doceide Warren and Tan White were all held out of Friday night’s game due to injuries but are expected to be back for MSU’s next exhibition game. The Bulldogs take on Adidas Premier Friday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m. at The Hump.