Play to entertain children, students

Members of Theatre MSU will stray from the norm Wednesday when they unveil their latest production, “Clown’s Play.”
    The group hopes the play’s colorful costumes and retelling of classic fairy tales will entertain children and remind students of a simpler time.
    The cast, which has been practicing for about five weeks, will introduce their play for the first time to area school-age children on Wednesday and again on Friday in McComas Hall Theatre. Thursday night at 7:30 will mark the opening night for the general public, with a repeat performance on Friday night.
    Director James Cison and eight MSU students will appeal to all ages with Reginald Bain’s contemporary one-act play.
    Cison said that, though the play is geared toward children, he and his cast are excited about bringing childhood humor into the college scene.
    “Anyone who was a child at one time will get enjoyment out of this play. It’s a way to remember our childhoods,” Cison said. “Clowns, the circus, ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’-they’re as much a part of us as are Saturday morning cartoons.”
    Freshman cast member Christine Taylor is looking forward to showing the general public, as well as area children, a fresh side of MSU theatrics.
    “It has that universal quality because when people come and see it, they will get a spice of MSU theater. It’s so colorful, with great costumes and a good story line. It’s just funny,” Taylor said.
    Cison, who aspires to one day manage a theater of his own, was drawn to “Clown’s Play” because of its creative attempt at depicting a fairy tale. In the play, a group of clowns put on their rendition of “Jack and the Beanstalk.”
    Whitney Kearney, who is a clown named Doxy in “Clown’s Play,” acts as Bessie the Cow within the “Jack and the Beanstalk” frame. Kearney said she respects the story for its ability to remind her of what it’s like to make believe and imagine.
    “At one time or another, everyone imagined talking animals,” Kearney said. “Playing the part of a talking cow is a fun way to reach out to children.”
    “It’s a way to sit back and enjoy the simple things. It’s funny. It’s a good time. It’s clean,” she said. “It’s just really, really funny.”
    Cison sees the circus as a universal point of identification for almost everyone and a place where people can still find enjoyment.
    “Some of the cast members are new to theater; some have been involved before. We work together very well though, and it shows on stage,” Cison said.
    Kearney also attributes the quality of performance to good relations among cast members.
    “The respect among cast members shows in the way in which we perform. It’s a really great work environment,” she said.