More than blacks benefit

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is a group that is misunderstood.
    It was founded in a time when blacks were overtly mistreated, but both blacks and whites worked to found the organization. Its main goal at inception was the security and social equality of black, but the NAACP promotes justice for all races.
    The misconception is that the NAACP has not evolved, still protects only blacks and preaches hate towards other races. This could not be further from the truth.
    The NAACP addresses all issues of inequality that are brought to it. Whether a person is white, black, or any other color has no bearing on whether the NAACP addresses their case. The NAACP looks at issues and looks for social injustice. Where this occurs, the NAACP is almost certain to be found.
    There are many instances lately when the NAACP and its leader Kweisi Mfume have stepped forward.
    One of the most recent issues was the ordeal over the new Ghettopoly game. This spinoff of monopoly depicted the ghetto and blacks in a derogatory manner.
    The game used hustling, selling drugs and prostitution as the ways to obtain success. The NAACP stood up and said that this was not a joke, as the inventor David Chang had intended it to be. Chang also incited protest in the Latino, Asian and Jewish communities with his game.
    The NAACP has also brought a legal challenge to the government to secure the future of Social Security. They claims that Social Security will be unable to fulfill its financial obligations by the year 2032. Minorities are often the biggest beneficiaries of the Social Security.
    The NAACP has joined a coalition that consists of young people and seniors, labor and women’s organizations, civil rights and disability groups and national church organizations to protect Social Security. The coalition is known as The New Century Alliance for Social Security.
    The NAACP has also taken an active stance on the treatment of immigrant children.
    It has lobbied for the passage of HR 2137 which would force children to be placed with the Office of Refugee Resettlement within 72 hours of arrival. This bill would also allot 15 days for the placement of children with a qualified relative or caretaker.
    Ultimately, the NAACP is misunderstood because people are not educated about its mission. Many people see the NAACP as inciting racial riots and unrest when it is just fighting for equality and social justice.
    The NAACP is viewed from a negative perspective because it is an organization that brings about change. It combats those issues that would otherwise be ignored.
    The NAACP challenges people to have open minds and look at things from what is often a minority perspective. Those who read this article and are not informed on the mission of the NAACP should do some research before they label the organization.
    Hopefully, America will reach a point where there will be no more need for a NAACP. I would be ecstatic when that day comes.
    Until this day does arrive, the NAACP will continue to fight the battles for justice and equality of all, despite its critics.
    Nyerere Tryman is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be reached at [email protected].