SA Senate allocates funds to help Interfraternity council

The Student Association Senate gave money set aside for Delta Delta Delta to the Interfraternity Council per the request of one senator during last week’s meeting.
    Sen. Lauren Hancock, a member of the sorority and the senator for Sorority Row, made the request.
    After a problem with the amount of money the SA allocated to the IFC, Hancock asked for the Senate to strike Tri Delta’s $100 and insert that money into the amount given to the IFC.
    Hancock said she knew her sorority would back her up on the request.
    Earlier, the Senate discussed the money it planned to give to a variety of campus organizations. A list of the selected organizations and the amount of money distributed to each was read at the meeting.
    After learning that the IFC would only receive $175, Sen. Jeremy England said that he had spoken with some IFC members before the meeting who felt they were very conservative in asking for $300.
    “Rush numbers are declining,” England said. “And there are no plans to raise dues, so for IFC to continue to participate in community services and events some things may have to be cancelled.”
    Sen. Sam Harris, the representative from Fraternity Row, agreed with England’s concerns.
    Several senators expressed concerns over having to re-arrange the appropriations bill.
    Sen. Erica Wells said the requests from the various organizations totaled about $175,000.
    “[The appropriations committee] had to look at need, causes to give and what the organizations do to help the campus,” Wells said in defense of the appropriations bill.
    Then Hancock suggested a compromise that would allow for the IFC to receive more money while avoiding having to completely redraw the bill.
    The bill with the newly amended amounts passed unanimously.
    England said the new amount of $275 was acceptable to the IFC and thanked Tri Delta for their help.