Band creates piano-punk sound

Something Corporate has certainly matured as a band since last year’s release of Leaving Through the Window. Their new album, North, is a stray from the collection of teenage-punk tunes as they embrace a more personal style of writing and a toned down version of their signature “piano-punk” style.
    While Something Corporate may have mellowed out a bit, fans shouldn’t fear the outcome of their second attempt. They’ve stayed true to their sound with that great mix of rocking guitar and enchanting piano.
    “As You Sleep” opens the CD with an introduction to the great piano arrangements achieved on the album. They are not entirely complex, yet they still possess a soothing quality that leaves you wanting more. The piano is certainly the highlight of this album.
    “Space,” the first single off of North, is a catchy, more upbeat track that may be the closest thing to earlier Something Corporate. It’s a great example of how the band incorporates piano before launching into exciting guitar riffs.
    The lyrics on this album can be confusing in places, yet credit must be given for the poetic expression that vocalist and pianist Andrew McMahon and guitarist Josh Partington have presented. The lyrics reveal personal struggles and lost loves.
    Something Corporate went for a studio effect-free album with North. The music you hear on the CD is pretty much what you would hear at a live show-a huge plus considering that so many artists today rely heavily on studio effects and can’t help but sound lacking when performing live.
    North is definitely a great addition for a Something Corporate fan. It may not be the punk anthem some were hoping for, but Something Corporate has certainly matured lyrically, and there just isn’t much out there that can compete with their addicting and distinct sound.