Bad Charism rocks the stage at Remington’s Hunt Club

Before Bad Charism opens for 3 Doors Down later this month, they will rock the stage at Remington’s Hunt Club.
    All members attend college and two are Mississippi State University Students. Drummer Jason Pike and guitarist Ricky Williams are juniors at MSU while Pike’s brother Jeff attends Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and cousin Aaron Hall attends the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
    “We generally do not practice much. We have been playing together for over five years now and have developed a list of songs,” Jason Pike said. “If we want to play a new song, we’ll practice separately and work out the kinks during sound check.”
    Bad Charism has played well over 120 shows and has recorded three albums. Their concert CD Invisible To You holds two tracks produced by 3 Doors Down guitarist Chris Henderson. The group met the popular Mississippi band a few years back while playing a show on the Gulf Coast. The two bands have been friends ever since.
    “3 Doors Down have helped us in countless ways,” Pike said. “They’ve given us advice on recording, producing and on other aspects in the music industry.”
    Pike commented that Doors encourages them on their musical journey. They have also helped the four college guys get shows they normally would not have been able to get.
    Charism has opened for other big acts such as Nickleback, Seven Mary Three, Filter, Saliva and Oleander. Their second CD, Pretense, has sold over 1,000 copies, and they have original songs playing on the radio. Even though the boys seem to have quite a bit of success, the one thing they lack is a record deal.
    “We’ve paid for all of our studio time, recording and CDs out of our own pockets from money made off other shows,” Pike said.
    Their musical sound can be attributed to their musical influences. Jason Pike brings the sounds of Incubus and Tool, while his brother Jeff adds Hoobastank and Nickleback. Williams sticks with a ’70s sound, Ozzy Osbourne and Mstley CrYe. Altogether, their sounds are brought full circle with Hall’s influential range of Pantera and Eric Johnson.
    “All of our influences have their different origins and come together to make our distinct sound,” Pike said.
    The chemistry the group has helps them in their live shows since they cannot practice together very often. Each song is written by the band as a whole during school holiday breaks.
    “Everyone adds their own touch to each song. It’s a fun process,” Pike said.
    The Pike brothers and their cousin Hall played for fun at family reunions growing up. Elementary school friend Williams joined and the group was finally pieced together.
    “We hope to continue and be able to support ourselves doing something we love,” Pike said. “We also hope to get a good record deal and produce another album.”
    Bad Charism performs tonight at Remington’s Hunt Club. For more information on the band, go to their Web site www.badcharism.com.