This case isn’t closed yet, UM

I know I’m a week late, but the case isn’t closed until I get my say in print.
    I never knew people with so little class existed. Yes, I’m talking about the University of Mississippi students at the game Jan. 29. I lost count of how many times I was flipped off and asked to “take it outside.” What was worse is that there were women being subjected to the same thing.
    It’s a game–not life and death. This isn’t the United States vs. Iraq, Israel vs. Palestine or North Korea vs. South Korea.
    UM fans argued that Derrick Zimmerman was taunting the students after making his game-winner. They have a point. Z was celebrating in front of the students. But as I saw it, he, like the rest of the team who joined him, was acknowledging the MSU fans in the seats above and to the left of the UM students. I mean, really, when have you ever known this team to taunt anyone? They might get excited and talk a little trash on the floor, but never to the point to where they gather in front of an opposing student section.
    So what did the Rebel fans do during the celebration? They threw bottles, cups–whatever was within their reach. Yeah, that’s class. The barrage of projectiles was followed by four-letter words and the middle finger openly shown to anyone wearing maroon and white. Let me go back a little further, though.
    When UM scored to take the lead with 6.6 seconds left, the same thing that was being directed at the celebrating Bulldogs on the floor was being done to the MSU students sitting in the stands. I was hit by a shower of alcohol. Funny thing, the back of the ticket expressed how alcoholic beverages were unwelcome at the “Tad Pad.” UM thought they won the game, so they let us know. They cussed, threw things, flipped off and basically disrespected anyone who was there for MSU. And then it happened. Ninety-four feet in 4.9 seconds. State wins 58-57. Let the mudslinging begin.
    UM fans immediately started making excuses–condemning their administration for selling their seats and accusing State fans of being classless and the players of taunting. It’s not the administration’s fault MSU won the game. You can’t tell people who actually paid for the tickets to sit where they were sitting to shut up and not cheer. Talk about a group of sore losers.
    I shouldn’t even have to say it, but I will. When UM comes back to Starkville on Feb. 15, let’s show them that we are the class of the state of Mississippi. Don’t stoop to their level and return the favor. Let’s be gracious in victory, but on the other side, let’s enjoy it as well.
    Wait, was that a guarantee of victory? I believe it was. Case closed.
    Big Time Bulldogs
    Big week on the way for the Lady Bulldogs. MSU travels to Georgia for a major SEC contest on Feb. 6 before returning home for an even bigger game against top 10 foe LSU on Feb. 9. It would be really nice to see a large crowd at The Hump Sunday. I know the Lady Bulldogs would appreciate it. But then again, any top 15 team deserves large home crowds. Especially ones that still have a chance to win a title in the nation’s toughest conference.