NAACP celebrates Black History Month

The NAACP’s Mississippi State University Chapter has planned a variety of events for the upcoming month of February.
    February is Black History Month, and the local NAACP is starting the month off with a candlelight vigil in honor of past generations.
    “We want to pay the appropriate respect to the people that came before us,” said Timothy Jackson, the president for the campus chapter of the NAACP. “We would like to honor our ancestors.”
    Troy Dampeer, the treasurer for the NAACP’s university chapter, says he would like to see people from all ethnic backgrounds come together to take part in the vigil. The candlelight vigil is scheduled to be held in Allen Hall Room 11 at 7 p.m. Monday. All students, faculty and staff members are invited to attend the event.
    On Monday, Feb. 10, the NAACP organization on campus will be sponsoring a blood drive at the Colvard Union in Rooms 301 and 302. The blood drive will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. The drive will be open to everyone on campus and all donations will be appreciated.
    At the end of the month on Feb. 27, the local NAACP is co-sponsoring a Black History Month Program with the MSU Black Student Alliance. The program, which starts at 7 p.m., is going to take place in the Swalm Auditorium. The NAACP encourages all students, faculty and staff members to attend.
    “We just encourage all students, African-American and other ethnicities, to come out and learn more about the African American culture,” said Jackson, explaining his hopes for the upcoming February events. “We want people to learn more so that we can truly become the people’s university.”
    For more information about these or other events or to learn more about how to get involved with the MSU chapter of the NAACP, call 325-7085.