Play shows theatre life’s humor, hardships

With growing demand for performing arts, it is unsure whether anything can shake the foundations of modern theater.
    The foundations are shakeable, according to Terrence McNally, author of “It’s Only a Play,” the latest production of Mississippi State University’s theater department.
    “It’s Only A Play” is one of the four full-length plays that the MSU theater department performs every year. The show will run three times, April 10, 11 and 12 at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall Theatre.
    “There’s more than the glamour. There’s a human side,” said theater director Jo Durst.
    “It’s Only a Play” focuses on theatres struggling to survive. “After 9/11 they just closed, because no one came to them. Theatres on Broadway had to go black,” said Durst.
    The play takes place in a townhouse room in Manhattan where an anxious party awaits the latest edition of The New York Times. The success or failure of the group depends on the newspaper’s review of their Broadway performance. The dependence of the characters on the review allows for somber but humorous dialogue. Students from MSU who have participated in previous productions seem particularly fond of the Theatre department’s latest effort.
    “The characters are so much fun because of the fact that they are stereotypical,” said James Whicker, one of the actors and a four-year student in the theater department. “You can just push them so far and they can become almost ridiculous. It’s one of those things where us being friends allows the characters to be so much more.”
    The play includes an actor, a writer, a director, a critic, a producer, a cab driver and an assistant who have all converged at a party. The Broadway life is exemplified by the variety of characters’ influences and personalities.
    “The whole play makes fun of stereotypes, theater people and the theater in general, but in the end, it reinforces how good it is and how people need it,” said Gabe Smith, another actor. “I’m partial to comedy, but this is probably my favorite one we’ve done this year.”
    MSU Faculty, staff and student tickets are $5, as well as children and senior citizens. General admission is $10. The theater box office can be contacted at 325-9810 for further information or ticket reservation.