Student charged with sale of drugs

Starkville police charged a Mississippi State University senior Tuesday with the sale of an amphetamine drug to another MSU student, Henry A. “Hutt” Hutton, who was found dead in a box culvert April 1.
    According to the police affidavit, Harper Kurtz, who is listed as a general business administration major, is charged with selling the drug to Hutton in the “vicinity of the Manhattan Lounge.” She was released Tuesday on a $5,000 bond.
    She is accused of selling amphetamine dextroamphetamine, or Adderall, which is commonly used to treat attention deficit (hyperactivity) disorder, or ADHD. The drug is also occasionally used in the treatment of narcolepsy, a sleeping disorder. According to the U.S. Library of Medicine Web site, the drug is often habit-forming when used for long periods of time. For this reason, it is listed as a Schedule II controlled substance.
    Hutton’s death was determined to be accidental and due to head trauma from a 10- foot fall from the highway to the culvert. Aside from Adderall, he is known to have consumed alcohol the night of his death. However, according to a report from The Clarion-Ledger, authorities are awaiting the results of a toxicology report before determining what role, if any, Adderall played in Hutton’s death. The report could possibly take another month to complete.
    Currently, Kurtz is charged only with the sale of a controlled substance. However, depending on the results of the toxicology report, she could also face charges in conjunction with Hutton’s death.
    Kurtz could not be reached for comment.