MSU student’s death determined accidental

The Mississippi State University student, found dead Tuesday morning off U.S. Highway 82 died as a result of accidental causes, according to police authorities and autopsy reports at the Mississippi Mortuary in Pearl.
    Autopsies reported that Henry Alison “Hutt” Hutton, 22, fell 12 feet and hit his head on a concrete culvert off the south side of U.S. Highway 82, just east of Stark Road and across from the Caragen House property. The culvert was between 10 to 15 feet below road level.
    “The cause of death was isolated head trauma, and there is no evidence that he was hit by a vehicle,” Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt said. “The Oktibbeha County task force will continue trying to complete the investigation.”
    Hutton’s body was recovered by a team of students led by police officers Tuesday morning about 8:15.
    Hutton, a resident of Williston, Tenn., had last been seen Saturday night at about 11:45 at the Manhattan Lounge on Main Street. He told friends he would walk back to his apartment at 1087 Stark Road, Apt. 11D if he could not get a ride.
    Hutton’s roommate reported him as missing to the Starkville Police Department Monday at 3:30 p.m. Soon after, a team of Starkville and MSU police officers, as well as Oktibbeha County sheriff’s deputies and student volunteers, mostly made up of Kappa Alpha fraternity brothers, formed search teams for Hutton.
    One police officer said students searched more toward downtown and campus Monday night rather than toward his apartment. His body was found only two miles from the Crossgate Apartments where he lived.
    “We discovered the body by retracing his route of travel since he told friends he would call a cab or walk home that evening,” Starkville Police Chief David Lindley said. Lindley said some of the search teams used search dogs but the dogs were not present when the body was found.
    Students held a candlelight service at the Kappa Alpha House Tuesday night to honor Hutton and talk about what he meant to those who knew him.
    Kappa Alpha President Ed Jackson read Scripture and encouraged students to fellowship with one another after such a hard loss.
    “Everyone is doing as well as can be expected here after Hutt’s death,” Jackson said. “He is a true brother and will be missed by many.”
    Campus minister for Reformed University Fellowship Ricky Jones also offered a word of encouragement, and counselor Fred Drummond from the MSU Counseling Center let students know he was available for them.
    “The University community is saddened at this time and our hearts go out to Hutt’s family and friends,” Interim Vice President of Student Affairs Jimmy Abraham said.
    The visitation for Hutton will be in Memphis tonight from 6 to 8 at the Memphis Funeral Home, 534 Poplar Ave., and the funeral will be Saturday morning at 10 at First Evangelical Church, 735 Ridge Lake Blvd. in Memphis.
    Investigators and Lindley said Hutton’s death is unrelated to other recent missing person cases.
    “There is absolutely no connection whatsoever,” Lindley said.
    Lindley specifically referred to two separate cases, the homicide of Corey Kentrell Davis, 22, who was found dead from a gunshot wound March 13 , and the disappearance of MSU student Lucius Antonio “Tony” Clark who had been missing since March 14. Clark contacted Starkville Police Department and is currently living and working in Nashville, Tenn.
    Lindley said no other students are missing at this time, contrary to rumors he has heard.