Air Force shows support for troops

Drop the politics and join Alpha Beta Chi in supporting the Mississippi State University students who are serving in Iraq. Troop Fest begins today and runs from 4 p.m. to 8p.m. at the MSU Amphitheater.
    “I hope people will come out this afternoon to show the troops that we are standing behind them. It shouldn’t matter if you agree or disagree with the war, an American should always stand behind our troops, they are protecting us,” Alpha Beta Chi member Shannon Wheeler said. Alpha Beta Chi is a female group also known as the Army Blade Corps or the Blades. They help support the Army ROTC and other philanthropy organizations in the community. They helped put Troop Fest together to remember and celebrate the troops, including the MSU students, who are currently serving our nation.
    “It is important to show our support for Troop Fest because we are showing our love for the men and women that are half the world way, fighting for something our government strongly believes in,” Blades member Maggie Lambert said.
    Booths will be set up around the amphitheater to make participants aware of the various needs of soldiers at home and abroad, as well as local and international humanitarian efforts. MSU student Jason Boler will be the guest speaker. Boler has served in the Navy, and will speak on the importance of Bulldogs supporting their fellow students
    who are currently deployed.
    “Troop Fest is a great opportunity for us to present information about how people in Starkville and MSU can show support for those troops overseas,” Blades Historian Rebekka Milton said.
    Elizabeth Parsons, public relations officer for the Blades said it is very important that Troop Fest is a non-political event. Its purpose is only to show support for troops. One of the ways the Blades are showing their support is through Adopt-a-Platoon Soldier Support Effort (AAP). Adopt-a-Platoon is a non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that no US deployed soldier is forgotten, rallying the nation behind the troops and teaching patriotism.
    “Not only do our troops defend US citizens around the world, they also extend a helping hand to citizens of areas where they are stationed. Thanks to the wonderful people at Adopt-a-Platoon, we can learn about ways to help our soldiers help others,” Parsons said. She added that the soldiers need children’s clothing, especially socks and undergarments, school supplies and other materials for the children in war-torn areas. Those who attend Troop Fest are invited to bring these types of items to help support the effort of rebuilding these children’s lives.
    Troop Fest will have live entertainment and Senior Cadet Alicia Riley of the Army ROTC will sing the National Anthem. Throughout the Fest the Blades will distribute flags and patriotic ribbons to all attendees. “We’ll even have face painting available. Thanks to the many local businesses who have donated gifts and food, great prizes will be given away and free food will be served,” Parsons said.
    Though the Blades help support the Army ROTC they are neither part of nor obligated to the United States Army. Their motto is “Pride in Service,” and was founded nationally in 1963 and the MSU chapter was established in 1998.
    For more information on the Blades check out their Web site at www.geocities.com/alphabetachimsu or email parsons at [email protected].