MSU elects new SA officers

Mississippi State University students elected their new Student Association executive officers in an election Tuesday with one of the largest voter turnouts in recent memory. Students also passed a referendum in support of reinstating a student activity fee to improve campus life.
    SA President-elect Josh Blades, who won just over 70 percent of nearly 2,600 votes cast, said he was looking forward to the coming year. He said he owed his win to his campaign staff.
    “I’m unbelievably blessed to be in the position I am in right now,” Blades said. “This is something that took a lot more people than me to get here.”
    SA presidential candidate Joe Long came in second with nearly 23 percent of the vote, with Timothy Jackson trailing in third with just over 7 percent.
    Juan McCullum, with 55 percent of the vote, won the vice presidential election over Ward Williams. McCullum, surrounded by his cheering campaign staff and friends, seemed to have difficulty commenting on his win after the announcement.
    “I’m just excited and overwhelmed right now,” McCullum said.
    SA attorney general-elect Hunter Jones, with just over 66 percent of the vote, won against Jeremy England.
    “Having been a part of the Student Association for three years, I’m happy to have an opportunity my senior year to serve in an even greater capacity,” Jones said.
    Jones was also very complementary of the election as a whole and his opponent’s campaign.
    “I thought the elections ran very well,” Jones said. “And as for my opponent, Jeremy (England), I don’t think a race could have been run cleaner and more upfront.”
    Christina Dennery, who won the election for SA treasurer with nearly 58 percent of the vote, said her initial reaction to her win was one of “complete shock.” She went on to express her hopes for the coming year.
    “I think there were a lot of great people elected,” she said. “There are a lot of great minds in this group.”
    SA secretary-elect Claire Hardin, who received 59 percent of the vote to defeat Rachel McDonald, expressed similar sentiments.
    “I am very honored to be working with this exec,” Hardin said. “All the candidates ran a good campaign. This seemed to be a difficult election because any one of these candidates that were elected would do a good job.”
    Anna Wilds defeated Stephen Smith for senior class president, receiving 60 percent of the senior vote. The Reflector could not reach Wilds for comment.
    This year’s election brought out nearly 1,000 more voters than last year. SA Sen. Edward Sanders said he was happy to see such an increase, but does not feel the SA or the student body should remain content with such a turnout.
    “It’s a great day for democracy in the MSU student body,” he said. “But I hope to see it continue to improve in the coming years.”
    MSU students also passed two referendums in Tuesday’s election. Referendum A, which voiced student support for an initiative to reinstate an activity fee of $6.67 per credit hour to build funds to increase campus parking and shuttle capacities, improve Student Union facilities and services and provide more campuswide concerts and program activities, passed with 72 percent of the vote. The initiative will now go before the College Board for consideration.
    Referendum B, which passed with a 78 percent vote, allowed students to voice support for SA Senate Bills 23 and 24, which restructure Senate composition. The bills are aimed at balancing SA Senate representation with college enrollment.