Despite setbacks, U.S. troops still deserve gratitude

Three members of the United States military sat down for lunch earlier this week. Unknown to them, I sat a table over hoping to hear some comments on the war from their perspective. Their conversation remained fairly uninteresting until a young lady approached the table and interrupted their meal. What she had to say is worth reporting.
    After a polite interruption, she introduced herself as the wife of a military man. A small silver airplane was pinned to her shirt, a replica of the aircraft her husband flies. She had only a few words for these men, yet these words carried much weight and meaning.
    “I just wanted to thank you for all that you do,” she said. I could never pretend to know what that must mean to a soldier or begin to grasp the sincerity of a “thank you” given from one whose spouse is in a fight that might require his life. The sincerity of that woman must be backed by the unwavering belief that her soldier does his job well. Soldiers no doubt appreciate such recognition. They need to hear from us what they already know-that they perform their duty better than anyone else in the world.
    With today’s media coverage, we have the ability to watch the horror straight from the front lines. Every American death to this point has been reported in some detail. Major newspapers report diminishing expectation and disappointment that the war has not gone as well as they expected.
    Despite the doubts, American troops fight on. Their accomplishments so far are comparable to none. They engage their enemy with the ferocity that meets the standard expected of them, yet at the same time, work patiently and methodically keeping the best interest of the Iraqi people at mind.
    The unfortunate results of war are always reported back home-an American attacking his fellow soldiers, casualties resulting from friendly fire and the report that American POWs may have been criminally executed. All the while, our soldiers are victorious in regions we may hear nothing of. Their secret successes are every bit as important as the bombings of Baghdad we watch on TV. Their untold victories far outweigh any difficulty they have faced so far.
    So thank you, brave soldiers, who volunteer your lives. One of you fights so that I do not have to. One of you leaves his family so that someone else can stay home. One of you will die so that others may live better.
    For the fighters that no camera sees, I know that you fought well. I am aware of your ability and might, even though it may not always be reported. You have my honor, respect and gratitude for the side on which you stand, the people who you protect and the integrity with which you do it.
    I believe in your strength, intelligence and will to perform in the face of danger and hostility. I believe that you understand that your actions are right, no matter what may be said of you. And while I believe you fight, not for the recognition you may receive, but for the cause that you know to be just, I thank you and praise you for the job well done-in the past and in the future.
    You make me proud and thankful to be an American citizen. May God bless you and your family, and God bless America.
    Michael Stewart is a junior philosophy and religion major.