New semester, new deadlines

With the new spring semester already begun, students should be aware of important dates and deadlines about registration, financial aid and graduation. Graduation Day is set for May 11 in the Humphrey Coliseum. The last day to add a class was Jan. 11. The deadline for withdrawing from the university at a 90 percent refund is Jan. 18, for an 80 percent refund is Jan. 28, for a 65 pecent refund is Feb. 4, for a 45 percent refund from Feb. 11, and for a 25 percent refund Feb. 18.
    The deadline for students who want to drop classes with a “W” grade is Jan. 30 with a $50 fee charged to the student account. A firm deadline is set on Jan. 30 for students who want to apply for a degree with no extensions or appeals allowed.
    All major changes are due March 1, and all major changes after this date will not reflect on Fall/Summer 2002 enrollment forms. March 4 is the day to assign Fall/Summer 2002 PINS, RACs, and registration time slots and March 6 e-mail midterm progress report notices will be available.
    Financial aid at Mississippi State follows several procedures before it is awarded.
    Financial Aid Director Bruce Crain said, “Students who have enrolled this spring are eligible for federal student aid including financial aid in the form of grants, work study, student loans, determined by the federal government using the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA). While it is currently too late to submit an application for the spring semester, students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for the fall semester.”
    Crain said the Mississippi tuition and grants application (MTAG) and the Mississippi eminent scholars grant application (MESG) will now be processed by the state of Mississippi and will be mailed individually to students at their home address. These applications should be available soon.
    Further information about deadlines can be found on the MSU Web page under the calendar of events.