Tigers are favored to repeat as SEC champs

“We’re headed into the unknown, into what I like to call the dark side of the moon,” LSU head coach Nick Saban said. “It’s the kind of climate that can create insecurity.” The man who steered LSU to its first conference title in 13 years has reason to be insecure. He lost two of his offensive leaders in Rohan Davey and Josh Reed, who both now serve under NFL coaches. Not to mention his leading rusher LaBrandon Toefield, who just recovered from a major knee operation. But don’t worry, Tiger fans; LSU has loads of talent to make a return to the Georgia Dome in December.
    The Tigers have six offensive and defensive returning starters, not counting SEC Championship MVP Matt Mauck, the 23-year-old sophomore who stepped in as LSU’s quarterback after Rohan Davey fell to the turf with an injury. Before Mauck enrolled at LSU, he spent three seasons with the Chicago Cubs, before deciding that football was best for him. It took Mauck a full season to start throwing a football as well as he did a baseball. Mauck’s performance replacing Davey in the SEC Championship gave Tiger fans something to look forward to in 2002. The upcoming star rushed for two crucial touchdowns in LSU’s 31-20 victory over Tennessee.
    Backup quarterback Marcus Randall was supposed to play this fall until he injured his knee in the spring game. His status is still uncertain. Third string quarterback Rick Clausen, brother of Tennessee star Casey Clausen, could see time as Mauck’s backup.
    The Tigers running game looks to be just as strong as last year’s. Rising star Domanic Davis and veteran Toefield will be the dynamic duo in the backfield. Toefield is still recovering from a knee injury, but Saban looks for him to come back stronger than ever. Senior running back Davis ran for 122 yards and set a Sugar Bowl record with four touchdowns in the Tigers’ victory over Illinois in the Nokia Sugar Bowl last January.
    After the Sugar Bowl, LSU finished with an overwhelming record of 10-3 (6-3 SEC). They also have not lost a game since the fluke loss to Mississippi in Death Valley. With the renovation to Tiger Stadium, Death Valley now holds 92,000 people and could become the loudest stadium in the SEC.
    Sophomore Michael Clayton will be Mauck’s largest target at 6 feet 4 inches. Mauck will also be looking for Senior Jerel Meyers, Reggie Robinson, and sophomore Shyrone Carey to step up and give him a wider variety of targets. Eric Eddie will be set as the elusive tight end. He has only caught seven passes in the past two years, but four of those were in the end zone.
    As far as the offensive line goes, the Tigers are well-equipped. Veteran left guard Stephen Peterman, Rodney Reed and center Ben Wilkerson all return along with upcoming lineman Rob Sale, Brad Smalling and Kade Comeaux.
    “I think we will be okay mainly because it looks like we have some good players on the way up,” says Saban.
    Last year LSU’s biggest problem was stopping the deep pass. It shouldn’t be this year.
    “Our secondary could turn out to be the strongest part of the defense,” Saban said. LSU is returning most of their starters, who look more talented and wiser than they did last season.
    Senior linebacker Braddie James will be the Tigers’ leader on defense. Along with him will be linebacker Jason LeDoux. The two added up a total of 78 solo tackles and played a large part eliminating Tennessee’s rushing to 50 yards in the SEC Championship game. The defensive line is the main part of the Tiger arsenal that looks less talented than last year. They lost a lot of players and are young and inexperienced.
    Saban says he will have no problem motivating the Tigers at the beginning of the season. “If playing Virginia Tech doesn’t stimulate you, we’re in trouble,” says Saban. The Tigers led the SEC in red zone offense, scoring on 87 percent when inside the 20 yard line. They also led the league in third down conversions at 51 percent. If they can repeat these stats and avoid injuries, the Tigers will be back in Atlanta defending their SEC title.