Jumpstart program focuses on students

Mississippi State University’s Information Technology Services will hold seminars Sept. 4 and 5 in the Colvard Union lobby. ITS, part of MSU’s academic affairs, is comprised of four units: User Services, Telecommunications, Information Systems and Systems & Networks. ITS is also responsible for the Internet on campus and all student/faculty email accounts, as well as services such as MoneyMate.
    ITS’s Jumpstart program is “geared toward students,” event organizer Amy Berryhill said.
    In The Union lobby, ITS will have different presentations in September. Presentations are 10 minutes in length and will begin every 15 minutes from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
    Presentations consist of university libraries, virus and security protection, using the university information system, the help desk, connectivity, and student e-mail.
    Specialty booths will be set up so that students can participate in a “come and go format” in case they do not want to stay for the entire presentation, Berryhill said. At these booths, students can pick up information and instructional materials.
    Berryhill said that consultants who specialize in various departments will provide information during the Jumpstart program. He urges faculty to bring their classes to the presentations since WebCT is widely used at MSU.
    “Table Tents are set up in the cafeteria until Sept. 5 for students to receive information,” Berryhill said.
    The university first instated official e-mail accounts for communication between faculty and students last fall.
    Approximately, 1,400 new students have not registered their e-mail accounts this year. University officials have sent e-mails to all students, but some students have not received the information.
    ITS tried to promote the e-mail system at orientation to inform incoming students, but not many students attended.
    “The official communication of the university is the MSU e-mail accounts,” Berryhill said.
    Those interested in the ITS Jumpstart program can receive additional information at http://www.its.msstate.edu/information/workshops/jumpstart.