MSU looks to reverse fortune vs. Tigers

The Mississippi State Bulldogs will need a little luck on their side this weekend in Baton Rouge when they take on the 20th ranked Tigers of LSU. LSU has won nine of the last 10 meetings between the two teams, including five in a row at Tiger stadium. Luckily, the game is not at night, but an increased stadium capacity of 91,000 is still going to be difficult for any visiting squad. Head coach Jackie Sherrill said, “LSU has increased the size of their stadium, making that place louder than ever. I thought they were already the loudest place to play in the conference.”
    The big thing to look for is how State’s defense can contain the rushing game. LaBrandon Toefield and Domanick Davis provide a solid one-two rushing combination behind a good offensive line. The Tigers ran for 155 yards last year in the blowout in Starkville. After three games, LSU is averaging 193 yards per game on the ground. The Bulldog ‘D’ is giving up 177 yards per game.
    About their offense Sherrill said, “They are very similar to Auburn. They will play some tight ends and move their tight ends and try to get some leverage. They will put two and three receivers in there as well.”
    The play up front will be key to stopping the run for the Bulldogs. The defensive line will need to make plays, as well as the linebackers in Mario Hagan and T.J. Mawhinney. The line got pushed around a bit against Auburn and will want to come out and establish themselves early. Sherrill said, “We’re very fortunate to have two solid linebackers. Up front, Jason Clark may be the most consistent player we have.”
    Defensive lineman Ronald Fields said, “We’ve improved a lot since Oregon at stopping the run and being physical up front. We should have more sacks than we have right now. We’re working on making the other teams go three and out.”
    Fortunately for the Bulldogs if you contain the Tigers on the ground, they are not very impressive in the air. LSU ranks last in the conference with their passing offense at 152 yards per game. Quarterback Matt Mauck can scramble, but has failed to prove himself as a legitimate passing threat at this point in the season.
    When the Bulldogs have the ball anything is possible. Another six-turnover performance like the one against Auburn will severely hinder any chance they have of pulling out a win. Running back Dontae Walker is questionable to play with a knee and shoulder injury, but this might not be a bad thing because he is only averaging 29 yards a game. Freshmen Jerious Norwood and Nick Turner should be able to contribute in the backfield along with Fred Reid. LSU has allowed only 109 yards per game on the ground, and the Bulldogs are the only team in the SEC not averaging at least 100 yards per game rushing.
    Offensive lineman Brad Weathers said, “We’ve really improved with recognizing assignments when we are blocking. Hopefully we are not going to get sacked so many times like we did against Auburn, because that falls on us. We are going to try to run the ball more. LSU’s front line is big and strong, but not quite as fast as Auburn’s. Their linebackers are very good.”
    With the Bulldogs’ paltry numbers on the ground the passing game would seem to be the best option. State is fourth in the conference with 265 yards per game. Even though turnovers have been a problem, Kevin Fant has looked pretty sharp in his two games this year and has a host of talented receivers to throw, too.
    Unfortunately all that stands between Fant and the endzone is an LSU pass defense that sits atop the conference and is giving up only 121 yards per game. That statistic is good enough for third in the entire nation. If the Bulldogs can move the ball over the top, it will definitely be an accomplishment.
    The special teams edge would have to go to the Bulldogs. Punter Jared Cook has been the most consistent player on the team this year while LSU has struggled with the two punters they have. If it comes down to a battle of field position the Bulldogs have a chance.
    It is tough to play in Tiger Stadium, plain and simple. State had six turnovers against Auburn, and that was at home. This crowd will make it extremely difficult for the Bulldogs on offense. For State to have a chance in this game, they need to make some big plays early to take the crowd out of the game, and then look to stop the run. Game time is set for 11:30 a.m. and will be televised regionally by Jefferson Pilot Sports.