Sports help to heal pain of 9/11

Since I was a small child, I have attended a large number of various sporting events. Most have been with my father, but others with different friends or family. Out of all those games in all those stadiums, there was one constant: the National Anthem. Now, I’m just as patriotic as the next guy, but this was never more than a meaningless routine to me. That is, until Sept. 11, 2001.
    On Sept. 11, our nation was brutally attacked by terrorists. The nation was halted. Incredible sorrow spread all over the country for the victims in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania. Schools were cancelled. Sports were shutdown. As the smoke cleared, the nation began a healing process. Sports seemed so trivial, yet so important. Sports, more than anything else, provided an avenue for people to remove themselves from the horror building up all around them. For a few hours, anyone from any walk of life could come to the stadium and forget it all. In the next few months, the New York Yankees and the Arizona Diamondbacks played a thrilling World Series, Michael Jordan made his return to basketball, and the Patriots became America’s team by defeating the overwhelmingly favored St. Louis Rams. Sports helped heal our great nation.
    Since that tragic day in September, sporting events have taken on a new meaning, a new demeanor. During the seventh inning stretch of baseball games, “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” has been replaced at most stadiums with “God Bless America.” At Yankee Stadium in New York, the team flew an American flag that came from Ground Zero for inspiration. In Kansas City, the New York “Football Giants” received a standing ovation from Chiefs fans.
    At Mississippi State University, an 80-yard flag, held up by players from both MSU and South Carolina, engulfed Scott Field during the pre-game festivities of the first college football game after the attacks. At Brandon High School in Brandon, Miss., marching bands from bitter rivals Pearl and Brandon joined together to play the National Anthem before their game, the first since the attacks.
    Given the circumstances, one would think these patriotic acts would be solemn occasions. Yet invariably, they brought out smiling faces and tears of joy. Not joy for the recent turn of events, but joy for their country. Love for their country. Love for their neighbor.
    See, to me, sports are a celebration of the American way of life. Sports showcase everything that is good and pure and right in our country. The thrill of competition, the glory of victory, the agony of defeat; all these emotions engulf you. Your heart rate rises. Your adrenaline begins to pump. You feel a sense of pride for your team; for your country. There is great peace of mind in knowing that everyone on either side of you is thinking the same thing you are, whether it’s “Win,” or “God Bless America.” If anyone can sit in a stadium filled with fifty thousand or more people all singing “….O’er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?” and not get chill bumps, then check their green card.
    Now, one year later, some of that patriotism has subsided. Mumbles are all that can be heard during the National Anthem. American Flag sales have dropped off. Baseball almost went on strike. What happened to the overwhelming Red, White and Blue? Have we forgotten? Let’s prove it. Tomorrow, when the Star Spangled Banner is played at Scott Field, let’s recreate the atmosphere of the South Carolina game last year. Let’s sing along and show our pride in the Red, White and Blue just like we do for our Maroon and White.