Students to vote for 2002 MSU Homecoming court

Today the student body will elect Mississippi State University’s 2002 Homecoming Queen and Maids after voting takes place on the second floor of the Union from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Lauren Carnathan, Kelly Flowers and Lynn Parker are running for Homecoming Queen, but only one can be crowned.
    Carnathan represents the engineering student council. This is her first time running for Homecoming Queen.
    “Engineering is such a big part of Mississippi State. It’s an honor to represent such a big part of the University,” Carnathan said.
    Carnathan said she believes that there would be a better representation if more students voted.
    The Black Student Alliance sponsored Parker.
    “I think the Homecoming Queen should be someone who is active on campus, as I have been,” Parker said.
    Danielle Hays, Lindsey Phillips, Deshundra Thomas and Lindsey Swedenburg are running for Freshman Maid.
    Phi Mu nominated Phillips, while Kappa Delta nominated Swedenburg.
    “I think it’s an honor to represent Phi Mu. I think it’ll be a lot of fun,” Phillips said.
    Swedenburg said she hopes to represent the freshman class to the best of her ability and be a good role model.
    “I want to represent my school the best way I know how,” Swedenburg said.
    Candidates for sophomore maid are Emily Miller, Ashley Shrez Odom and Jeannie Waller.
    Delta Gamma nominated Miller, who said she is honored her sorority nominated her.
    “I’m overwhelmed that I got nominated from my sorority,” Miller said.
    She also said she hopes to show school spirit and be a positive role model.
    “The [voting] process is fair because the students can get more involved,” stated Miller.
    Mary Clare Ehrhardt, Fleming Friend and Maya White are running for Junior Maid.
    Megan Anderson, Akilah Minor, Lauren Perkins and Paula Jean Runge are the Senior Maid candidates.
    The American Society of Engineering nominated Runge.
    “I’ve been very active in MSU and numerous activities from 1998 to now. It is time to give back to MSU for the support they’ve given me,” Rung said.
    Rung said she believes that the Queens and Maids represent the university, but she does believe that there should be more promotion around campus for Homecoming.
    “I was encouraged by my peers. They said if you’re willing to run, we’re willing to vote,” Rung said.
    Each candidate for Homecoming Court was on the Drill Field Monday to meet and greet students.
    “I haven’t heard anything about MSU homecoming court until I saw the pictures in front of the Union,” freshman Natalie Smith said.
    The Homecoming Queen and Maids will be presented during halftime at the Homecoming game against Troy State on Oct. 12 at Davis Wade Stadium at 1:30 p.m.