MSU posts solid showing at ACC/SEC Challenge

No. 18 Mississippi State fired a third-round 312-904 and fell to a fifth place tie as the third annual Chrysler ACC/SEC Challenge came to a close at the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. The Lady Bulldogs were led by sophomore Beth Irwin, who garnered her second straight top 10 finish with an 8-over 221. The Germantown, Tenn., native fired rounds of 71, 73 and 77.
    Sophomore Natalie Booth and freshman Sofie Andersson both finished with an 11-over 224, good enough for 16th place among individuals. Senior Anna Knutsson shot a final round 78, but fell to 46th place, 22-over par.
    Fourth-ranked Auburn claimed the team title for the second time in three years. The Tigers’ final round 296-887 was six strokes better than defending national champion Duke. No. 17 Florida, who won the tournament last year, finished third while host Florida State claimed fourth place.
    Auburn also claimed medalist honors for the second time in the tournament’s three year history.
    Diana Ramage finished with a 1-over 214, three strokes better than Furman’s Brandi Jackson, and Duke’s Elizabeth Janangelo, who fired a course record 67 in the first round.
    Mississippi State (16-6-2) returns to action on Oct. 11, when they travel to the Beacon Woods Invitational in New Port Richey, Fla., hosted by 16th-ranked South Florida.