Interviews set for new VP of student affairs

Roy Ruby, the current vice president of student affairs and dean of education, expects to step down from the vice president position. Interviews are currently underway to find a new vice president of student affairs. “I have been vice president for 17 and a half years. As of right now, I am serving both vice president of student affairs and dean of education, and as soon as a new vice president is chosen, I am going to step down to my position as dean,” Roy Ruby, vice president of student affairs, said. “I am planning to retire within the next couple of years, and this is one of the steps I am taking to prepare for it.
    “I hope that the next vice president is strong in character and will be able to take this college to new heights,” Ruby said.
    “A national search has recently been conducted to determine the most likely candidate for the upcoming position of vice president of student affairs,” Melvin Ray, special assistant to the President said. “The list of candidates will be presented to the president in late October The date has not yet been set as to when the president will announce who will be our next vice president.”
    Currently, this list consists of five candidates.
    The candiates for the position are excited about possibly joining the MSU family.
    Richard Drake Chapman, Ph. D. is currently the vice president of student affairs for University of Maine, and was once the dean of students at Bucknell University. He holds a Ph. D. in Higher Education Management and Policy Studies from University of Virginia. He completed additional graduate study at Colgate College, Harvard University, and Rochester Institute of Technology.
    “I am looking forward to my visit to Starkville. I’ve heard some very good things about MSU, and I am looking forward to meeting with students and faculty and hearing what they have to say about their hopes and plans for this institution,” Richard Drake Chapman, vice president of student affairs for University of Maine, said.
    Douglass F. Covey, Ed. D. is currently at Idaho State University as dean of student affairs, and he previously worked at University of North Florida as Assistant vice president of student affairs. He holds an Ed. D. in Education Leadership from University of North Florida. He held many other positions at University of North Florida as well.
    “One of the most important aspects for me when I visit the campus is that I get to know the culture and the institute. When entering a new area, it takes time to develop an understanding of that area’s way of life and culture,” Douglass F. Covey, dean of student affairs at Idaho State University, said.
    “MSU is a very impressive institute and is well established,” Covey added.
    One of the candidates is MSU’s assistant vice President of student affairs, Jimmy W. Abraham.
    “I am very honored to be considered for this position. I’ve been working for MSU for the last 25 years, and MSU is a very special University,” Abraham said.
    “If I do receive this position, I will do the best job possible in serving my Alma Mater,” Abraham said.
    Here are bios of the candidates who were unavailable for comment.
    *Mary Lynn Williamson, Ph. D. is currently the group leader of recruiting and workplace effectiveness for ACXIOM Corporation in Little Rock Arkansas, and she was previously vice president of student affairs and associate professor of education for Arkansas State University. She holds a Ph. D. in Educational Leadership and Higher Education Administration.
    *Melvin Cleveland Terrell, Ph. D. is currently the vice president of student affairs & professor of counselor education at Northeastern Illinois University. He holds a Ph. D. in Higher Education Administration from Southern Illinois University and received some of his management training at Harvard University.
    *Jimmy W. Abraham, Ph. D. is currently assistant vice president of student affairs for MSU. Mr. Abraham was director of Enrollment Services for MSU until July of 2000. He holds a Ph. D. in Higher Education Administration from University of Mississippi and holds a Master of Education in student personnel and Counselor Education from MSU.