Prophetic words from James Taylor

“Oh, I’ve seen fire, and I’ve seen rain. I’ve seen sunny days that I thought would never end. I’ve seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, but I always thought I would see you again.” Words from James Taylor struck me as prophetic Saturday aftermoon, before listening to the Bulldogs’ 29-17 win at Memphis. The defense that I and many other people called out two weeks ago has regained its dominance. Granted, it was just Troy State and Memphis, but still, 11 interceptions in two games against ANYONE is impressive. For the second straight week, both Bulldog wins, the defense decided the game. This week’s win was clinched by a Michael Gholar interception return for a TD late in the fourth quarter. Do I hear the “G-Hollar” chant resurfacing?
    The Bulldogs are off this coming week, and the bye week couldn’t have come at a better time. It’s a chance to take two weeks to prepare for Kentucky. A chance to get everyone healthy. A chance to rest for a late-season charge.
    Celebrate, Bulldog fans. Enjoy this win, but let’s not start thinking about bowl games yet. After all, it was just Troy State and Memphis, but wins are wins. MSU has already tied last season’s win total with five games remaining–five games in which the Bulldogs could pick up some wins if they play like they can. Enjoy the off week, guys–you deserve it!
    Notes from around the country
    * “Putting them in their place”–I kept telling people that Mississippi isn’t exactly as good as people think, and they would be found out soon enough. I just didn’t think it would be this soon. Alabama 42, Mississippi 7. Sure, it could have been a combination of Alabama playing a great game and the Rebels playing a bad game, but that still usually doesn’t result in losing by 35 on national television. Now the Rebels have three of their final five games on the road, and their two home games are not exactly walk-overs.
    * “False alarm”–Iowa State folks were issuing their own cyclone warnings for Norman, Okla., on Saturday, but it turned out to be a false alarm. The second-ranked Oklahoma Sooners quickly disposed of the Cyclones 49-3, sending ISU down to Austin, Texas, next week with a horrible taste in their mouth. As for ISU quarterback Seneca Wallace, he can kiss Mr. Heisman goodbye. The Oklahoma defense held Wallace to only 15 total yards. Wallace was four of 22 for only 43 yards and three interceptions, while being stopped for minus-28 rushing yards.* “Quacked”–The Oregon Ducks, who were thought to be unbeatable at home, were finally beaten at home. Not by someone like UCLA or Stanford, but by ARIZONA STATE. The Sun Devils all but diminished the Ducks’ chance to get back to the Fiesta Bowl with a 45-42 upset in Eugene, knocking UO out of the ranks of the unbeaten.
    * “Close blowout”–Although Notre Dame only beat Air Force 21-14 at Air Force Saturday night, the game really wasn’t that close. Air Force’s longest drive of the night was a whopping 27 yards. While the Irish are still undefeated at 7-0, Air Force drops to 6-1 and has now lost all chance for BCS bid due to their weak strength of schedule.
    * “What if?”–OK, it’s WAY too early to be talking about this, but let me run a scenario by you. On Dec. 7, a night that could end up being the greatest night EVER in college football, teams could be making plans for BCS bowls and lawsuits. Consider this: Miami and Virginia Tech stay undefeated. They play each other that night (Dec. 7) in Miami. Also, that night, the still undefeated Oklahoma Sooners are playing for the Big XII Championship in Houston while the unbeaten Georgia Bulldogs are battling it out for the SEC Championship. During all that, the USC Trojans are playing host to the undefeated Notre Dame Fighting Irish, who have the toughest schedule in college football, in Los Angeles. Five undefeated teams play that night, at least one will fall, but what if ONLY one falls? Then there is also the fact that Ohio State, North Carolina State and Bowling Green could still be undefeated at that point. Every single one of those teams (with the possible exception of Bowling Green) certainly deserve a shot at the national title, but who decides? A computer. Someone is almost certain to bring out the lawsuit that night, if that scenario comes to fruition. It is months away, however, and there is plenty of football left to be played, but I just thought I would tease your brain with that thought, as if enough isn’t already on your minds, right?
    * “So long Solich?”–You would have to be completely ignorant to believe that Nebraska Frank Solich’s job is secure in Huskerland after an embarrassing loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday. The Cornhuskers are now 5-3 and 1-2 in the Big 12. Nebraska has not beaten a ranked team since knocking off No. 1 Oklahoma back in October of 2001. The loss to OSU even has Cowboy fans talking bowl–a rare occurrence in Stillwater.
    * “Top Dawgs”–Time to hand out some game balls. The MSU game ball this week goes to none other than Michael Gholar. “G-Hollar” picked off a Danny Wimprine pass and took it the distance for the clinching touchdown Saturday night. My nationwide game ball goes to Alabama’s Santonio Beard. Beard rushed for 138 yards on 13 carries and FIVE touchdowns in the Tide’s 35-point win over Mississippi Saturday.
    * “Hunting for Heisman”–With Seneca Wallace now out of the picture, it’s still anyone’s guess. Favorites would have to include Ken Dorsey and Byron Leftwich, but a case could also be made for Virginia Tech back Lee Suggs, Oregon back Onterrio Smith and Miami back Willis McGahee. It’s a wide open race now, so literally anyone could jump up there.
    “Upset of the week”–Ok, so it won’t be a groundbreaking upset like Temple over Miami, but my upset for next week will take place in Lexington, Ky., when the undefeated Georgia Bulldogs take on Kentucky. My guess is, people running the BCS wouldn’t mind seeing this upset happen either. It makes things easier for them, having to deal with one less undefeated team at the end of the year.