GOP sweeps mid-term elections across nation

Rep. Chip Pickering receives congratulations from Charlie Jackson, the Pickering campaign coordinator for Walthall County, Tuesday night at the Old Capital Inn in Jackson.

After months of spirited campaigning and millions of dollars raised and spent, Rep. Chip Pickering (R-Hebron) won re-election over Rep. Ronnie Shows (D-Bassfield) by a surprisingly large margin in the 3rd Congressional District. Pickering picked up 64 percent of the vote to Shows’ 35 percent. “I’m very humbled and honored by the support of people all across the 3rd District. I’ll do everything I can to continue building Mississippi and bringing people together so we can have a better future for all of our children. I appreciate the trust you’ve placed in me, and I’ll work every day to make to you proud,” Pickering said in a statement issued by his campaign.
    “(Pickering) beat me. He just flat beat me. I can’t stand these people that hem-haw around and don’t accept they’ve been beaten. It was clear tonight (Tuesday),” Shows said.
    Shows’ press secretary Cassie Sheldon said, “I don’t think you can qualify the entire race in terms of the percentages. The only thing that matters is who gets out to vote on Election Day. Certainly, more money would’ve helped. The percentages that were won were pretty proportional to the amount of district that each of the candidates had (in their previous respective districts). We ran an honorable campaign.”
    Mississippi’s other congressional incumbents, 1st District Rep. Roger Wicker (R-Tupelo), 2nd District Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Bolton) and 4th District Gene Taylor (D-Bay St. Louis), all won reelection by large margins.
    Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Jackson) coasted to a fifth term over independent Shawn O’Hara, garnering 85 percent of the vote.
    In Mississippi’s judicial elections, incumbent Supreme Court Justice Chuck McRae was ousted by Jess Dickinson, who will take office in January 2004.
    Dickinson ran on the theme of “restoring confidence and respect to the Supreme Court.” During his campaign, he often criticized McRae for his DUI arrests.
    Chief Judge Roger McMillin handily defeated challenger Ralph Doxey 64 percent to 36 percent to claim a second term on the Court of Appeals.
    “It was a really good vote. I take that as being a vote of confidence for the work I’ve been able to do for the last eight years. I’m looking forward to returning to the court,” McMillin said.
    Ridgeland attorney Kenny Griffis unseated incumbent Judge Jim Brantley for the other appeals court seat that was up for election. Griffis claimed 56 percent of the vote to Brantley’s 44 percent.
    “I’m very humbled by (the victory) and very appreciative to the opportunity that’s been given to me by the voters. I’ll work hard to do the best job I can,” Griffis said.
    A constitutional amendment stretching terms for circuit and chancery court judges from four to six years was soundly defeated, 61 percent to 39 percent.
    The GOP regained control of the Senate with pivotal victories in Georgia, Missouri and Minnesota.
    Rep. Saxby Chambliss defeated incumbent Sen. Max Cleland in Georgia. Former Rep. Jim Talent won over incumbent Sen. Jean Carnahan in Missouri. In a Minnesota race thrown into chaos by the death of Sen. Paul Wellstone, former St. Paul mayor Norm Coleman narrowly claimed victory over Wellstone’s replacement, former vice president Walter Mondale.
    The GOP also won the most expensive Senate race in the country, with former cabinet secretary Elizabeth Dole winning over former Clinton chief of staff Erksine Bowles in North Carolina.
    Democrats managed to beat back a strong challenge in South Dakota with Sen. Tim Johnson retaining his seat. Also, Arkansas attorney general Mark Pryor defeated Republican incumbent Sen. Tim Hutchinson.
    The GOP also solidified its majority in the House, adding at least four seats (depending on the outcome of a few disputed elections) to 226 seats it already holds.
    Florida Gov. Jeb Bush won re-election in a race that National Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe called his “No. 1 political priority.” Phil Bredesen, a Democrat and former mayor of Nashville, won Tennessee’s gubernatorial election over Rep. Van Hilleary by three percentage points.
    According the latest results, Republican Bob Riley eked out a 3,000-vote victory over incumbent Gov. Don Siegelman in Alabama’s gubernatorial race. However, problems with voting software may necessitate a recount.