Last season’s Bulldogs are tough act to follow

How does a team follow its winningest season in school history?
    According to Mississippi State University head basketball coach Rick Stansbury, by working harder and avoiding complacency.
    “We are nowhere near where I want us to be,” said Stansbury, as he begins his fifth year at the MSU helm having posted a 79-50 (.612) record and guided the Bulldogs to three postseason appearances.
    Forget that nine Dawgs return from the 27-8 Southeastern Conference Tournament Champions and ignore the fact that the team now possesses the highest preseason ranking since the 1996 squad that ventured to the Final Four.
    “The leadership, toughness and experience we lost in Michael Gholar (6.2 ppg, 6.2 rpg), Marckell Patterson (12.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 2.2 apg), and Guy Gardner (backup point guard) is not yet where it has to be,” said Stansbury. “We must replace our No. 2 and 3 rebounders, play better defense, and build our own personality.”
    This project began with the return of SEC Tourney MVP Mario Austin (16.1 ppg, 7.6 rpg). Super Mario, who led the Dawgs in both categories, returned for his junior season after reconsidering a decision to enter the NBA draft and likes the Dawgs’ outlook.
    “Coming back is probably the best thing I’ve ever done for myself,” said Austin on SEC media day. “Last season, most people doubted us, but we showed how hard we work, opened some eyes and it feels great.”
    The Bulldog championship not only opened eyes but also angered SEC foes that later pushed for an investigation into Austin’s high school transcript. The NCAA announced Tuesday that Austin will be ineligible until an investigation is completed. No one knows when that will be and MSU will not comment on the matter while the investigation is pending. What is known is that Austin passed the NCAA Clearinghouse as an incoming freshman.
    If and when he does become elgible, the 6-foot-9 center will continue playing down on the block and also drift out to the power forward position.
    Until then, State will rely on the services of 6-foot-9 junior Lincoln Smith, 7-foot sophomore Marcus Campbell, and 7-foot-2 redshirt freshman Wesley Morgan, the tallest player in school history.
    Smith and Campbell delivered quality minutes in the preseason. Campbell posted two double-doubles coming off the bench for Smith while Morgan sat with an injury.
    “Lincoln (Smith) is in the best conditioning ever, and Morgan is progressing. I can’t teach 7-2,” Stansbury said.
    “Campbell continues to improve. He is not yet where I want him to be, but if he were, we wouldn’t have him.”
    The power forward position will be crucial to compensate for the significant rebounding losses that MSU endured. Senior Michal Ignerski (8.8 ppg, 3.6 rpg), standing 6 feet 10 inches, will get the starting nod in most games and 6-foot 8 JUCO transfer Branden Vincent will utilize athleticism when he relieves Ignerski.
    “Vincent has toughness and exemplifies the guy that can defend the perimeter,” said Stansbury. “He is not affected by scoring and has skillful passing.”
    “My biggest adjustment (from last season) is to play better defense,” said Ignerski. “I’m now much more confident.”
    Sophomore Ontario Harper has the versatility required to thrive in the small forward position. Harper shot a team-high 45 percent from behind the 3-point arc and played in every game last season.
    “Harp’ can change a game,” said senior all-SEC guard Derrick Zimmerman.
    Another sharp-shooting soph, Winsome Frazier, will sub for Harper. Guard play is crucial in college basketball, and the Dawgs have a well-proven tandem that not only delivers talent, but also invaluable leadership.
    Junior shooting guard Timmy Bowers (10.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.5 apg) shifts from his role as sixth-man to starting two-guard. Bowers knocked down a team-high 50 three-pointers by shooting 36.8 percent from long range and wants to improve upon the team’s season.
    “Last year, we wanted to make it to the NCAA tournament. Now, we want to go to the national title game,” said Bowers. “Last year is over. We are determined that no one will outwork us this year.”
    And last, but definitely not least, Zimmerman will run the offense. ‘Z’ did a little of everything last year: scored 9.2, snagged 4.0 boards, posted 2.1 swipes and dished an SEC-leading 6.0 assists per game. The high-flying Zimmerman says the team will not get complacent and he dedicates his off-the-court activity into figuring out how to maximize his teammates’ abilities.
    “It doesn’t matter where we are picked; we proved that last year. But, I like expectations,” said Stansbury.