Businesses help continue Starkville growth

Two new businesses are under construction off Highway 12, continuing the process of growth and renovation in central Starkville. Giggleswick, which is currently located downtown off of Main Street, will be opening its new store on the corner of Nelson Street and Highway 12. The lot was formerly occupied by Subzone and more recently Oliver’s Subs.
    While construction on Giggleswick is set to be complete around late January, no specific date has been announced.
    Another complete renovation and construction is underway off of Highway 12, east of Chevron before Jackson Street. The new construction is to be a Quicklube Oil station. The lot was formerly a Popeye’s restaurant and was completely removed before new construction began.
    Dale Reed, building inspector for the city of Starkville, said that businesses located directly off of Highway 12 have “premium” lots.
    “Highway 12 is an extremely important part of business and transportation in Starkville. When the bypass that connects Highway 25 and Highway 12 is complete, it’s only going to get better,” Reed said.
    Construction on the Quicklube is set to be complete around early February, but has also been slightly delayed due to current weather.
    “It’s hard to estimate exact times of job-completion lately. Weather has changed so much, construction can get delayed easily,” Reed said.
    Early next year is also the time set for the opening of the new bypass that will connect Highway 12 and Highway 25. Mayor Mack Rutledge said that the opening will decrease heavy traffic of Highway 12, and increase easier travel through the city.
    “Traffic attracts business, and Highway 12 has a lot going on. The bypass is only going to make things better,” Rutledge said.
    There are more than 140 businesses located directly off of Highway 12 from Wal-Mart to the Hampton Inn before entering the MSU campus.
    “Business continues to be steady and the outlook of Highway 12 is good. There is definitely a lot of potential for growth, and the convenience Highway 12 provides for central Starkville is very important,” Rutledge said.