Greeks unite for benefit

The Mississippi State Greek community joined forces for a third year to raise money for the all-Greek fund-raiser, Greek Links, by participating in a mail campaign. Heidie Lindsey, assistant director of student life, said that each sorority and fraternity member is required to send out 10 letters to possible donors. The person raising the most money has a chance to win a vacation package, and anyone raising over $500 will also receive prizes and cash awards.
    Sigma Chi fraternity at Samford University in Alabama was the first Greek organization to use this fund-raiser, and they raised $64,000 in six weeks. Mississippi State was the first collective Greek community to use the fund-raiser, raising $191,000 the first year and $130,000 for the second year.
    “Every single sorority and fraternity, I believe, has a philanthropy of helping other people in what they are founded on. So, everyone has been very open and welcome to something like this,” Lauren Cooper, executive director of the Greek Links committee, said.
    Lindsey said the money raised through the MSU Greek community is divided four ways. LeBonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis receives 40 percent of all earnings; the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity receives 35 percent. Each chapter’s individual philanthropy receives 15 percent and 10 percent goes to the student life fund for student programming.
    “Sororities and fraternities are willing to help because they know it is a good cause, so I think they are willing to do what they can,” Mary Virginia Morgan, chapter representative of the Greek Links committee, said.
    Lindsey said the biggest appeal of participating in a fund-raiser like this is “seeing the benefits of it, and that’s hard to communicate to the masses.”
    “We had a boy come and speak at the kick off event. He had been treated at LeBonheur. He told his story, and I think a lot of people were motivated by that,” Cooper said.
    Not only are students able to see the difference made at LeBonheur, but they are also able to see it at a more local level. They are able to see the difference and participate in Habitat for Humanity in Starkville, and they can also see the impact within their own chapters.
    “A lot of times people don’t realize that 15 percent of what each chapter raises goes back to their chapter’s own personal philanthropy whether that is Project Brickfire, Service for Sight or whatever. It goes right back into them,” Cooper said.
    Lindsey said that Champion Golf of Birmingham, Ala., sponsors this fund-raiser. Champion Golf raises money for many other organizations other than Greeks. They raise money for ministries, children homes, schools and much more.
    According to the Champion Golf Web site, “Champion events consistently produce more money ($40,000 to $80,000) than any other ‘events’ including banquets, auctions, product sales and traditional golf tournaments.”
    Mississippi State, in years past, has held a golf tournament to conclude the fund raising event, but this year there will be a bowling tournament at Bulldog Lanes.
    “Golf was not as pleasing to all Greek members,” Lindsey said. “So we came up with bowling because everyone likes to bowl. You don’t have to be good; you just can have fun.”
    Lindsey said the bowling tournament is scheduled for Nov. 3 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. “This is an opportunity to bring the kids from LeBonheur and give students here an opportunity to meet some people they help,” Lindsey said.
    “Philanthropy is one of the main functions we (sororities and fraternities) are founded on,” Lindsey said. “We provide service to the community. We agree that is what we are about.”
    She said that ideally they want to be able to put at least one child on each bowling team signed up to play.
    At other universities, Greek communities also participate in all-Greek fundraisers. Dance Marathon, which Mississippi State used to host, and Up ‘atil Dawn are two large fundraisers.
    The Dance Marathon benefits the Children’s Miracle Network, and for last years, 18 schools participated in Dance Marathon raising over $600,000. The Up ’til Dawn program was started at Memphis State University and benefits St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Since its beginning in 1998, this program has raised over $500,000 for St. Jude.